Request Product Recommendations ITT!

the M1 macbooks should in theory not get very warm at all. their power consumption is so low that even if they were converting 100% to heat it would probably be barely noticable

Iā€™m ready for a new monitor. Iā€™ve been looking at this Samsung curved 32 inch model. Costcoā€™s $379 price is by far best best outside of eBay. And just now Costco put up a temporary deal for another $50 off. Easy decision except for one detail: itā€™s the white version. Yuck. Much prefer black or gray. Convince me Iā€™m crazy.

https://www.costco.com/samsung-32"-class-4k-uhd-curved-monitor.product.100512595.html

Stephen Miller would choose it! :grin:

Yikes.

Iā€™m doing it. If I canā€™t get used to it, it turns out painting your monitor is a thing. Voids warrantee and risks damage but whatever.

Which laptops have you owned in the past and which attributes are most important to you? I canā€™t imagine using anything other than a Thinkpad at this point for actual work due to overall build and keyboard quality.

Which attributes are you looking for in a monitor? In 2021, you should at least be getting something that covers nearly 100% sRGB since those are available at basically any price point. Factory calibration also would be nice (assuming you donā€™t own a colorimeter). If you are sensitive to backlight / color uniformity issues then things get more complicated.

Does anyone have any idea where you can find decent mid-range furniture? It seems like the only places I can find seem to be poor quality, like IKEA, or super expensive, like Restoration Hardware. Iā€™m moving to a new apartment at the end of the month and Iā€™m going to need to buy a couch, entertainment center, coffee table, and a new bed. I want to to get things that arenā€™t total pieces of crap, but I also donā€™t want to spend $15K for a couch. Does such stuff exist?

2 Likes

Buy used?

1 Like

Ashley Furniture maybe? We have an Ashley Signature couch that weā€™ve liked a lot.

1 Like

Yeah thereā€™s plenty of stuff out there. I work at Wayfair which is like the Amazon furniture equivalent. Thereā€™s suppliers that range from low end to high end. And there are plenty of other companies as well that range the gamut.

1 Like

My mom used to work for Bassett and always praised their furniture.

She now works for Ashley and says their quality is fairly good for the price. We have two pieces of furniture from Ashley and are happy with them.

At Ashley theyā€™re going to try to sell you a mattress no matter what, just FYI. Also, their delivery times are really bad because of COVID, like 4-6 months out. Itā€™s probably the same across the industry.

1 Like

If youā€™re willing to wait that long you might as well drop by Ron Swansonā€™s workshop.

We bought stuff from Macyā€™s furniture if thatā€™s an option near you. Seems to be fine quality and wasnā€™t Restoration Hardware prices

Big fan of Article. Cost is mid range but quality is exceptional.

https://www.article.com/

1 Like

If you are talking about buying new merchandise, the unfortunate answer is not really. Give me an idea about what kind of prices weā€™re talking here and Iā€™ll try to steer you in the right direction. Specifically what is your sofa budget?

1 Like

Didnā€™t/Wasnā€™t JohnnyTruant a furniture wholesaler or dealer or something like that? Somebody on this board was. @microbet , if JT was that, maybe you can ask him for a recommendation? (JTā€™s is self-banned).

1 Like

He was in mattresses and weighted blankets. Not sure what else. But I will pass along the request.

ā€œThe best place for that kind of furniture from my experience shopping competitors is living spaces. They have several quality levels that are all good value imo. I donā€™t know if they are everywhere but they are in a lot of states I believe.ā€ -JT

1 Like

So the main thing I want to purchase is a sectional. Iā€™d like to keep it under $5,000, but I really have no clue whether that will get me something that is decent quality and comfortable? I know Restoration Hardware and Quality Within Reach have stuff thatā€™s basically $10,000 and up, which is completely out of the question.

1 Like

Oh LOL I was afraid you were gonna say $500 to $1k. I donā€™t know sectionals that well but have to assume $5k gives you some breathing room.

Fuck them.

DWR?

So it definitely goes over $10k for the very best of the best like Hancock & Moore. They are one of the few still using the best materials and construction techniques which used to be common among the North Carolina furniture makers. You really need to know what youā€™re paying for because places like RH will gladly charge you those prices for fake Rolex levels of sofa. Are you coming into this with any idea about what quality means in a sofa or starting from scratch?

1 Like

Also wondering if youā€™re looking for something agreeable / trendy or an actual heirloom piece. Iā€™m assuming that youā€™re more like me and probably looking for iconic design that will last forever and never go out of style?