Relocation in light of SCOTUS decisions

There are other reasons I don’t want to go into right now.

Not exactly. You are exempt from taxes on the first $112,000 you make.

1 Like

If you’re genuinely fleeing the country because it’s become a theocracy, why the hell would you still pay taxes? It’s not going from Handmaid’s Tale to Star Trek in your lifetime. If you leave you’re leaving for good.

But not social security and medicate taxes.

Also, this is the relocating within the US thread, which I think is a genuinely good idea for many, for both political and climate reasons. Leaving the US completely is a different thread, and far less practical.

You don’t pay that if you permanently live abroad.

Of course you don’t get either of them when you’re of age.

EDIT: Sorry zikzak

Maybe if you are working overseas and paying those taxes to that government, you don’t. But if you are a poker player, for example, you have to keep paying social security taxes.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for someone to have interpreted it as either (relocating within or to another country). If SCOTUS is the reason, then either would be an appropriate response.

If you wanted to pursue being a pro poker player in the Czech Republic, you’d likely have to get what’s called a zivno, which is a Czech trade license that essentially treats you like an independent contractor. You’d report the money you make and pay all of your own health and pension taxes rather than having an employer pay a portion of them for you.

Can’t speak for other countries in Europe though.

It wasn’t a serious complaint about thread content, but I do feel that relocating within the US is something a lot of people should be seriously considering, while idly musing about leaving the US entirely is unlikely to lead to it ever happening.

This is kind of funny coming from a dude with a fully operational Canadian escape plan.

it isn’t an idle muse for me. been researching this one for a few years off and on and this seems most feasible.

my logic is that I dont want to give up US citizenship because of family remaining here but I can’t think of a single place in the US that I would like to live except maybe, MAYBE hawaii.

I don’t actually consider Canada an escape plan. I have a very hard time imagining realistic scenarios where I am fleeing to Canada for political reasons. If things get so bad that Massachusetts isn’t viable, nowhere is viable.

2 Likes

Like most people, maybe I just covet what I don’t have. Seems like an extremely handy out to have even if you don’t consider it as such.

It’s kinda wild how hard it is to permanently leave the US. Unless you’re rich, but that’s the cheat code for everything in life.

2 Likes

I’d clarify by saying that it is hard to leave the US for somewhere else with the same quality of life that you are accustomed to, unless you are rich. If you want to live the life of a median Ecuadorian, I don’t think it’s hard or requires much wealth.

I’m the same way. I have my Canadian citizenship, and it would probably not be too hard to get my husband permanent residency based on that, but I haven’t been able to close the feasibility gap in my mind yet. Maybe there’s a line where things get so desperate that we have no other choice, but I don’t think I’m there yet.

Wait I’m confused. You pay those taxes even when you live here? Like forever?

I’m kind of the opposite, really. The feasibility is fine and I intend to invert the time I spend in the US vs Canada in the coming years. But that’s because I like Montreal more than my current city, not because I’m fleeing a desperate situation.

If the US falls apart Montreal probably stops being an option for me anyway when Quebec gets excited by all the action and decides to go its own way.

Yeah it’s ridiculous. Only America and Eritrea charge taxation based on citizenship and the latter doesn’t have the ability to enforce it.

If I was self-employed abroad, no doubt I’d be looking to renounce my citizenship.

Though I do wonder what happens with my citizenship if America gets balkanized while I’m abroad.