Questions about 6ix's ban

lol, people can’t abide by self-bans. We have no chance of them just choosing not to respond to other people.

It comes down to how much tolerance we have of people who are wrong (or who we think are wrong). We live in a world which seems to be going down the drain because too many wrong people have been given too much leeway in being wrong, so people have a desire to push back against wrongness wherever they see it on the forum.

I thought we were against bans?

I’m only kidding tbh but this shows how easy it can be to fall into the tendency to casually suggest it.

I’m not against bans. Are you thinking of JT? My problem is the uneven application.

It’s just disappointing because it’s never been about not banning people.

Most of my frustration has been the strong opinions from people who don’t understand or are misrepresenting what the captains concerns are.

People keep making the “so much for the tolerant left” argument though.

1 Like

Seems like the easiest way to resolve all of this is to demod Wookie and then permaban everyone that has been trying for months to get Wookie demodded

1 Like

Oh, right, all these posts from other people are all my fault when I’m not on here all day during my vacation.

6 was banned mainly for the Goebels post, which drew multiple flags for being over the line. Seemed that way to me.

3 Likes

Wookie,

Referring to another poster as a nazi war criminal is in no way inappropriate or a personal attack and the 29 posts from the most prolific poster in this thread who is checks notes shockingly jalfrezi is an absolutely appropriate and good faith effort to improve the site and in no way part of his never-ending vengeance quest to remove you as a moderator.

Regards,

—jman220

1 Like

Are you on vacation right now? If so, go enjoy yourself. This place won’t burn down while you’re away.

2 Likes

Haven’t read this thread and have been traveling this week. I registered the domain and “own” it, in that I automatically renew every year, but some other people have full rights to the domain and could even remove me. I regard the domain as a community trust and don’t consider any individual the owner…and I’ve actually litigated some domain name disputes.

8 Likes

You should take a break maybe? :bikini:

Now that 2+2 has been sold maybe we should all just go back there.

1 Like

I’m sad you can’t see my avatar, it is artsy without being farts.

The solution is simple and I’ve made it a couple of times over the years, but we lack the leadership and will to make it happen.

1. Declare someone the Owner of the site.
  2. Proclaim a simple set of rules
  3. Make the enforcement of the rules subject to review by the community. If an action is deemed wrong undo it and do it to the mod that took the action. I.E. if someone was banned for two days before it was overturned the mod gets a two day ban.

Hell, you could probably just skip 1 and 2 now that I think about it. This should result in mods being hesitant to take action unless it is clear cut over the line. If we’re lucky we’ll get some good rules spending too much time seeing how close to the line you can get.

Like you have the ability to not need the last word, or to defend your pal without using Suzzer’s name.

Amazing.

I WAS TRYING TO WALK AWAY AND NOW YOU DRAGGED ME BACK IN AGAIN

1 Like

You are pretty good at telling other people to do things you seem incapable of doing yourself.

Please stop. Both of you.

6 Likes

hm

quite the pyrrhic victory huh

You made the 16th post in this thread, right after it was opened, and posted about an unrelated matter without addressing the two questions. Then you made this, the 229th post, after a full day of Off Topic Bickering™, and only answered half of one of the two questions. So… come on man. Don’t personally attack our intelligence. Regardless,

a few questions:

1. What is this line and how did that go over it?

2. Assuming there actually is a line and that went over it, why was the ban excessively long?

3. And this is the most interesting, why did you feel the need to delete the entire long ass post and not just the offending word? Especially because the poster in question quoted the word themselves in a reply:

Clearly there was no problem with anybody gazing upon the actual word, a somewhat common surname, so it raises the question of why you felt it appropriate to delete a long and relevant post unrelated to the offensive word. None of the potential answers are particularly charitable but I like to be the change I want to see, so I’m asking rather than making declarations. For a refresher, here’s the post in question with the offensive word changed:

On one hand, thanks for sharing.

On the other hand, what you typed is so thoroughly false, and can quite easily be empirically proven to be false, that if I didn’t know any better I’d say you were doing a thought experiment. Like, a honeypot to see who’d have the absurd gall to cosign such a statement. And yeah, empirically proven, because that’s the brilliance of written communication: It’s all documented, and, like, written down, man. It’s literally impossible to say ‘omg crazy 6ix shouted some crazy stuff and ran away and who can really remember but it was definitely super crazy’ and that’s the entire point .

Would you like an example? In this very thread, in the actual throughline conversation you’re participating in, I made a “new point”. The guy who directly replied to me and started the derail with a questionable post, Goebs80, then went on to post in another thread that I in fact did make a new and good point and he agreed with me in a manner of speaking .

Please let that sink in for a second. Do you get now why nobody actually answered this when I asked them, why a highly intelligent programmer and software designer pretended to not know the difference between what and why, among other people, and let you, a person who I know does actually care about the forum, just walk up in here and step in it? Do you think they were just trying to be nice and spare my feelings, as if saying “you’re a worthless pos but I won’t tell you why” is somehow the nice and feelings-sparing version? Sweetsummerchild just had an aneurysm. Now that Sabo’s gone I’m the most casually insulted and disrespected poster here and it’s not particularly close. I just give people the benefit of the doubt that they know I don’t care and that’s why they run so wild.

I should specify that I don’t care in the feelings-hurt sense. I care very much about the interesting meta-conversations that pop out of it. And the more ridiculous projections, the more interested I become. It’s like, if projection had mass and density, the amount of projection in this forum would collapse into a black hole. It would suck all of the oxygen and other elements out of the forum and past its event horizon. And other totally good analogies.

So uh, as to “how’s that for why?” I’d say 1 to 1, tie ballgame?

2 Likes

Separate post for

1. If I reply to people in the thread, will the thread be throttled or locked and will I be banned again? If so, why, and how does that relate to the larger issues?
4 Likes

You know, or at least should know, that I think precisely delineating such a line is at best a fool’s errand but is more likely a counterproductive blueprint for those who wish to abuse to color just inside such a line so as to claim that their abuse isn’t.

Seems like it was mercifully short compared to your previous ban.

It’s, not interesting? It’s a combination of laziness and humility. It’s not my business to edit bad posts into something acceptable, and I don’t think anyone could reasonably be expected to do so without being more infuriating than just deleting an offending post. It’s innately prone to accusations of bias and the original posters saying that the mods made them say something they did not intend to say. It’s not my job to fix your posts, and I don’t think anyone could do so in a manner you would accept consistently.

Sure, probably. Anyone who thinks of themselves so highly that they deserve to take over a whole thread to respond to everyone in their own way is likely to be a nuisance or a spammer. But, as usual, it’s a judgment call.