Protesting and Police Violence in the Age of Biden

https://twitter.com/seattleYLF/status/1352118806362157056?s=19

https://twitter.com/seattleYLF/status/1352120531403870210?s=19

Feds in Seattle tonight

Cops arresting and harassing medics in Portland tonight

Cops trampling people at a BLM mutual aid event with horses in Los Angeles today

NYC brutalizing people today just like every day

Everyone knows the new administration’s stance on all of this: “stop bothering the police”

13 Likes

These feds wait for Biden to fall asleep to do this shit? Wake him up to make some calls. I know the expectation is nothing changes, but he should fire some people if for no other reason than raining on his inauguration.

I haven’t seen everything but I understand that people don’t expect meaningful change. I’m dubious myself since even Obama was no angel in this regard.

There are mixed signals. He wants to keep law and order types happy because unity and yeah maybe he also doesn’t mind if some hippies get beat up but no way he wants to see continuous Trump-level police violence dominate the media in his first days. If this is really how things are going to go, well we’ll just have to see about that.

It will go back to Obama era policy. The deportation moratorium doesn’t apply to new arrivals. So, many deportations as fast as possible. Court dates for a lot of the people who make it here further and longer. Basically indefinite limbo for millions (lol 8 more years).

If there are demonstrations at police facilities/detention centers without permission from the government, there’s gonna be tear gas and batons. No way around that one. Biden is not going to tell cops to stand down and stand by.

5 Likes

This came up in an older thread about immigration detention. Some people are deported quickly, but, getting your day in court has meant spending more than a year in prison.

Across the country, noncitizens who are detained while defending themselves against deportation in immigration court are routinely held for longer than six months. For example, data produced as a result of a 2013 class action lawsuit on behalf of noncitizens detained in California found that noncitizens who applied for relief from removal were held in California ICE detention centers for an average of 421 days.

Immigration Detention in the United States by Agency.

4 Likes

I know you and Chad follow this more closely than I do and are passionate about it. And you may well be right. Obama was a huge disappointment in this area. It could be excess hope on my part but I just feel like it has to get better than that. It just has to.

Biden might not publicly call these fuckers out but he’s got little margin to get policies enacted. Distractions like this have to be stamped out.

I don’t get what the compromise policy is? If you have cops that guard the border, you have deportation, jail, and black market workers. I guess in a decriminalized system you can argue about when people get certain rights (citizenship), but if you don’t get legal rights to work and education above board, the range on the kinder gentler immigration policy doesn’t go much past Obama.

2 Likes

Man it’s day 1 of not Trump. I’m ready to shit on Biden when he deserves it. But 24 hours ago Trump was still president. That still makes me happy.

1 Like

Nah, the feds have so much more cover to just haul off on protesters when a Dem is in the White House because a huge percentage of liberals don’t care anymore.

10 Likes

Same as it ever was, and always will be. Why it’s correct to protest on the night of the inauguration.

3 Likes

So much this.

Now that white people will stop caring about politics, Democrats will be able to perform similar human and civil rights violations (especially abroad) without the same scrutiny that Republicans face. After all they are often associated with liberals and what liberal would do something to take human rights away from people?

Let’s remember that Barack Obama prosecuted more people under the Espionage Act than any president before him and he supposed to be all about civil and human rights. He faced almost no backlash for doing it too.

People’s assholes have been so numbed from the Trump assraping that they won’t even feel it when Biden does it.

8 Likes

Can we have a rioting containment thread? This is absurd.

8 Likes

We need a Biden didn’t make the world a utopia by 12:30 pm on Inauguration Day thread to contain the awful takes.

Imagine tweeting that today is day one Biden didn’t magically produce M4A, something he explicitly promised he wouldn’t be doing at all.

2 Likes

Well, some of us like to arrive at the party early, in order to get a bellyful of the good liquor before the hoi polloi show up.

2 Likes

No, bad takes are fine, it’s having people just dumping their Twitter feeds into the thread that’s the problem

3 Likes

We also need to make it clear to those who hated Trump that things aren’t good now. They’re better but that bar is so low James Cameron couldn’t lift it off the ocean floor.

1 Like

I agree with this, but it doesn’t get better if everyone just closes their eyes and assumes Joe is doing good things. Like, we had months long arguments about the fact that both Biden and Harris have atrocious records on criminal justice, and Biden on immigration. It seems like a lot of people kind of assumed that we weren’t serious about that? Like we were framing “90% better than Trump” on those issues as “the same as Trump”, when the reality is more like a 10% difference that most Dems are happy to pretend is 100%.

Because, like you said, things HAVE to improve. It can’t be that we’re all cheering over the election of someone who still wants to keep kids in cages and criminalize people who want to live here and tear gas protestors, right? So he’ll do better.

6 Likes

Biden should welcome the positive PR - another day of not caving in to the reds! Unless you think that not passing m4a would be seen as unpopular for some reason?

1 Like

Here is a super secret which has been skillfully kept very quite by Biden and only the most in-the-know people have even heard it.

Biden isn’t for m4a!

He is obviously wrong but what is the point of posting itt over and over acting shocked he didn’t propose legislation for something he isn’t for?

This is one of those things that people could actively work to push him towards but not if an evil “shitlib” like me suggests it, of course.

1 Like

“You could do this thing that I am already criticizing you for doing” is a take.

2 Likes