POTUS BOWL 2020: A MEME IS A WISH YOUR <3 MAKES

11 Likes

I would just be more concerned that she is okay with calling people pedophiles with no evidence. She was around in the 80s she knows how destructive it is to falsely accuse people of that.

I mean is there anything more important than court packing though? It really is everything now and discussion of it and how likely it is seems interesting. We either pack the court or we get fucked.

Edit: I guess this should be in the supreme court thread, but it’s completely tied to how well Biden and the senate perform in the election so I figured it was fine here.

2 Likes

The right is so good at offering horrendous candidates and turning it into a both sidesed moral dilemma.

My buddy tried a similar line, his ~70yo mom said something like “Please never doubt my love for your daughter and wanting what’s best for her. She’s 2 and won’t be interacting with politics. I don’t trust Harris and can’t vote against my morals on abortion. My father would be disappointed in me. I fear for socialized medicine and Harris is for it. I have friends who have friends in Canada and they said that their friends have stories about how bad it is. I would sit it out if this wasn’t an American duty. Trump isn’t great either.”

1 Like

I think we’re drawing live to see DC made a state. Agree with you about everything else, it’s not happening. Even if Dems had 55 senators.

not a chance it’s that close in rural WI.

I think Joe will give the GOP another chance and Dems won’t blow up norms unless forced. So if they take the Senate and the GOP won’t let a stimulus vote to the floor, it might get nuked. If SCOTUS starts striking down ACA, Roe, Obergefell, a new VRA, etc, they might pack the court.

So the filibuster could happen quickly, court packing would probably be down the line a bit. Like I don’t even think striking down the ACA would do it, I think we’d waste a year trying to draft a shitty healthcare policy like the ACA that would “fix” the Constitutional “issues.”

Then SCOTUS days lol fuck you, and maybe we pack it.

Keep in mind as well that forcing us to pass another new healthcare bill in the absence of HR1 and a VRA would likely lead to a red wave midterm.

Good legislation doesn’t make it harder for conservatives to gain power, though. It makes it easier. My entire life has been Democrats righting the ship and delivering economic prosperity followed by the voters deciding that means we should hand the levers of power back to the Republicans to fuck it all up again. Racism is a luxury good. When times are good, racist appeals play better. When times are tough, the racists will even, to paraphrase from OG 538, vote for the n-word. But we can’t have too much peace and prosperity. Once things start going well again, it will be time to wreck it all.

9 Likes

Damn ya’ll are a drag and make it sound like WAAF even if we win in a landslide. If I felt those things I’d just be on team burn it all down and not even be excited about a big win. I mean whats the point if we don’t fix shit and likely just hand power back to Republicans?

1 Like

It sounds an awful lot like your mom is voting for Trump but doesn’t want to admit it to you.

Fwiw I’m in the same boat. My mom pretty much fits your description, and I’d say she is about 70% to vote for Trump.

Yeah, Trump not being re-elected is more important.

In other news, this is from the latest Yougov poll of Wisconsin & Arizona:

I know we expected something like this, but holy fuck at Biden winning mail-in votes by 51 fucking points in Wisconsin.

5 Likes

There’s a lot of structural problems with the US right now. Voting rights. Courts. Equal state representation in the senate. Even the media environment with Fox News. These are all huge headwinds to the Democratic Party making meaningful long term progress.

I have some hope with demographic changes in the US… but who knows.

Like even the chances of DC becoming a state is probably overstated because I could see courts stopping it on some bullshit constitutional originalism. Again, the courts aren’t about the law right now in many cases. It’s about justifying an action they already want to take.

And even IF DC gets in as a state it probably costs dems the next election because it fires up the conservatives, the moronic independents will hear that it’s a huge power grab, and the left won’t turn out because more wasn’t done.

Edit: ok, last post on the detail since basically I’m just on team WAAF. But also, this doesn’t mean winning now isn’t important. The situation without unified power for the next 2 years is incredibly worse.

1 Like

Welp at least it would cost us from a position of +2 seats.

1 Like

Right, definitely. So it’s still the right play. It just is more to show that I think it’s a really long time before things are actually fair. Dems are starting from a huge deficit and all progress will cost them.

I made a thread for the discussion of a post dem landslide so we don’t derail this thread anymore

I agree. This election the center-right and the right have offered up Biden and Trump respectively.

3 Likes

I feel like this is a dumb question, but aren’t we in an awful spot if we wait until key stuff gets struck down and then pack the courts? Wouldn’t you need a fresh challenge of all that stuff on some new grounds to get the court to hear it again after the fact? With the additional negative of a shitty precedent already being in place?

3 Likes

These things are going to happen regardless of whether DC gets statehood. R’s will find something to fire themselves up - even if they have to make it up. And D’s always get complacent once in power.

That said, I disagree that independents will care for long (if at all). Just look at polling on ACB, independents know it’s a power grab, but basically don’t care. Same with Garland. R’s have realized this for a long time and take every opportunity to grab more power, while D’s keep the moral high ground as they keep seceding power.

I’ll be surprised if we don’t significantly outperform 2016 in rural areas. Not win them certainly but definitely outperform. Those stats on farm bankruptcies (and suicides!) aren’t just ink on a piece of paper… every single one of those is an extended family that just had something super traumatic happen to them because Trump needed to get into a pissing match with China. One of the reasons why the GOP has been so staunchly free trade historically is that it’s extremely popular with farmers.

I can see 60/40 but 50/50 is a pretty big stretch