Police Murder George Floyd Then Riot Nationwide (Links to Streams in OP)

Chicago:
General public banned from central business district, scheduled protests will be rerouted.
350 National Guard will move in
240 arrests, 6 shot, 1 dead, 20 officers hospitalized

I think framing is really important. More of this please:

18 Likes

Watching the Dortmund game. Jadon Sancho scored and took his jersey off to rep this.

9 Likes

I’m saying the more firepower the bad guys have, the harder it is to remove all firepower from cops. Like in Europe you have cops who don’t carry guns unless they need them in dire circumstances, like a terrorist attack or mass stabbing… But, here there are redneck militias and criminal gangs that are all armed to the teeth. We can’t create a good policing organization and then send them out to try to enforce the law under those circumstances…

And while we all have a variety of good ideas that would lead to a decrease in crime in poor neighborhoods, namely economic and educational investment in those poor neighborhoods, that’s not an overnight silver bullet. It’s going to take decades to transform them.

I would genuinely love to hear more about this. It seems to be that to get to a place where we can have a gun-free police force, we need to attack this problem from numerous sides. It’s an exercise in thought at the moment, I’m afraid, but in 10 years it might not be if we get really lucky and all work really hard in whatever ways we can.

My thought is that we need:

1. Economic and educational investment in underprivileged communities.

2. Gun control

3. Policing reform

But #1 takes years to show effects. I guess what I’m asking is, if we take all the guns away from all the cops tomorrow, and we magically have good cops overnight, and we stop all patrols, what’s going to stop criminal organizations from just doing whatever they want and terrorizing communities?

3 Likes

I just dumped this there, since I didn’t really remember where the thread started a couple of days ago

1. 6ix made reference to me having been held by CPD at gunpoint - I couldn’t he was joking or just trying to use the pastiest white guy he could use as an example - decades ago we had just bought a new Miata and I wheeled out of the dealership turning south when I saw a bunch of activity on both sides - looking around to find the idiot in trouble I suddenly had a gun pointing at my head on the drivers side and cops screaming “Hands now!” - same type/color car had been stolen off the dealer lot - happily cop looked in the car, decided it wasn’t me, and took off - with me shaking - and I’ve always wonder had I been a black guy in the car at 11p.

Zikzak expressed surprised that a lot of (maybe most) states don’t require malpractice insurance - those states have simply sublet the paperwork to hospitals - It’s really hard to get privileges to any health care facility/system, because they’re the big pocket for bad med mal cases - minimum is 1M/3M and you get checked every licensing session (in Nevada every 2 years) - no med mal means no privileges. Given the general bureaucracy I’d probably test the hospital compliance officers to verify med mal coverage, as they’re going to be having the skin in the game rather than the state. I suppose you could be a single practice doc working in some tiny office with no privileges some where, but it’s pretty infrequent

MM MD

here’s one PD that basically fired everyone and rebuilt from the ground up:

coincidentally (or not), this was their action yesterday:
https://twitter.com/CapnOA/status/1267068498217521152?s=20

8 Likes

People are coming up with joke-y answers. I gave a serious answer from the perspective of what one might do if they were serious about causing harm instead of feeding their ego with fantasies of personalized combat.

If a riot is the language of the unheard, then deaf ears will only motivate the unheard to speak louder, unless they give up (or are forced to). I get the sense that some people think we just need to weather the storm and if we ride out this wave of violence, then things can go back to normal. For this protest to be effective, there needs to be resolve that we can’t let things go back to normal, that normal is our enemy.

I don’t necessarily want escalation, but if feels to me like the inevitable, logical progression if things don’t change.

This dumbass doesn’t even own the bar lmaooooo

5 Likes

Just doing their job would be standing there watching, protecting the free speech of the protesters and keeping the protesters separated from anti-protest groups so that both have free speech without violence between groups. Doing their job would be asking the group where they want to move/go/stand and protecting that area for them to keep the situation calm.

Actually marching with them is doing better than that, and I think it does deserve praise. I mean, imagine if that happened in NY, LA, CHI, MSP, etc last night… Imagine what this country might look like today.

I would like to discard the barrel and get a new barrel, but I also know that’s damn near impossible. Whether the realistic goal is discarding the barrel and getting a new, better barrel or getting major reform, the more hearts and minds can become open to that the better. Some of the best advocates we can have right now are current cops saying, “Shit, you know what? They’re right. We’ve gotta change this.”

And literally just a few of them could be incredibly powerful within a community, or within the country if platformed to speak.

1 Like

The Bureau of Labor Statistics has data on workplace fatalities across professions. If you calculate the number of fatalities divided by the number of hours worked, the job of a police officer is as dangerous as a taxi driver or a construction worker.

The most dangerous job is logging. Other jobs which are far more dangerous than police work are roofing and truck drivers.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1267117677052604416?s=19

I agree with that, and I spoke to it a bit in a couple of posts last night. There is an incredible vacuum of leadership right now.

The thing is, these issues CAN be solved with better politics, in theory. Whether we can get to that point in reality in any reasonable time frame? The chances a week ago were 0%, now they look like maybe 1%, who knows next week?

I mean, I guess the question I would have is what is your desire here? What do you think the goal is/should be? People are talking about overthrowing the government, but I don’t think they are considering:

1. The likelihood of success. (Absurdly low)

2. The likelihood of rebuilding a better society. (Possibly even lower)

3. The likelihood of emerging on the other side as one country, or five countries, of which a few are better. (Fuck if I know)

On the other hand, if the goal is to use force to gain political power, you could attempt to harness this energy and discontent to gain political power in a variety of ways and enact change.

Right but it doesn’t work overnight. Also I don’t know that society is in a position to be anywhere near ready for that. We might, might finally be ready for an overhaul of how police operate in this country. Support for safe injection and free treatment is probably more like 25%.

The most dangerous thing cops do, by a wide margin, is drive around all day long. Our transportation system is just that dangerous. Anecdotally, that’s how my best friend died… driving his cop car during a horrific, and not at all police related, traffic accident.

1 Like

If this happens again do NOT go outside. That could so easily be a setup for posting a picture of them.

Yeah, pulling people over on the side of the highway has to be the part that causes the most risk. Especially in this day and age of texting and driving.

2 Likes

Seems inconceivable that your best friend was a cop.

For those who don’t know and don’t watch the YouTube, Camden, NJ is across the river from Philadelphia, PA and was always known as like the worst area with the most crime in the region.

2 Likes

That too. But, just putting that many miles in is extremely dangerous for anyone… cop, UPS driver, full time Lyft/Uber driver. Same with working on a lot of factory floors. People get maimed and killed all the time. The commute is still more dangerous,

1 Like

Yeah true. Maybe to much time on twitter but im seeing a lot of interviews with black people who are not to happy about whites coming down committing vandalism.