Poker News and Live Streams - HU4LOLLZ

lolol krish

krish opens 8s8x to 2100, dwan calls 36hh in some straddle
flop QJ5sss, krish 3k, dwan calls
Turn A x/x
River T dwan bets 8k krish calls

that is one ambitious call my man

ok this clearly just happened and i didn’t see it. i need to start paying more attention

Poor Krish

he’s down over a million on the streams that i have watched. even for a rich person that’s a lot of money

God damn he is terrible, he must have ran like god on HSP

Surprised the tactic of check call any and get it in with any pocket pair pf did not work out for krish.

Quite amazing how poorly everyone played yesterday. I wish they kept the steam going cause im sure gal and dwan played stupid pots all night

https://twitter.com/PokerNews/status/1469805134737821699?t=85q0vGj9tWEwCSxMRxMwLA&s=19

1 Like

Crypto has definitely helped some, but its like poker where there are more people pretending they win than winning.

Twitch/YouTube has helped, Texas opening up rooms has probably helped the most.

It feels pretty localized to certain spots around the country, but crypto, stonks, ppl spending less during covid, the streams, all seems to have helped.

I’m pretty bearish on the future of online poker, but if it is ever legalized there should at least be a nice little window of really good action before the recs get completely slaughtered

Recs get destroyed every day anyway. 90%+ of players lose.

Yea but in live games the play is so soft that recs can and do go on nice heaters, the skill gap is just so much larger online, plus you’ll have to factor in the use of bots and real time assistance. I dunno, I just can’t see online really taking off again

Without Americans, Italians, Germans, Aussies and so many others you’ll still have 1k people playing nl25 to nl200z on peak at Stars and like, 5 are competent.

You had 100k+ people in a stars tourney last weekend.

I thought you had to be like a mega crusher to beat 500z, so I assumed 200 and 100z would also be very competitive…

RIP Henry Orenstein, arguably the most important person in poker history.

4 Likes

I’ve always thought that hole cards were way more important to the boom than Moneymaker. Farha was still a cool enough figure that poker would’ve exploded anyhow. Also noone gave a crap about the amateur winning a year earlier when Varkonyi won. I will grant that Moneymaker is an amazing name.

2 Likes

Part of the appeal was also that MM sattied in for $40 or w/e it was, rather than buying in directly.

1 Like

It was a combination of everything all at once, but I’d contend the hole card cam was the most important. It made televised poker more interesting, thus drawing more viewers. Those viewers (myself included) then became more interested in Moneymaker and were wowed at the action, especially his big bluff. Imagine if we couldn’t see the cards. It would’ve just been a big laydown by Farha. Then we starting Googling “poker” and found the online game.

People cared more about Moneymaker mostly because he seemed like more of an everyman. He even made mistakes at the table, like forgetting it was his turn. Then we found out he got in via a PokerStars satellite, which obviously also contributed to the boom.

It was a confluence of TV, Moneymaker, and online poker that created the poker boom, but I would argue that the hole card cam was the driver of the whole thing. Without that, we don’t get the quality TV production, Moneymaker goes unnoticed, and online poker takes longer to grow.

It all would’ve happened eventually, but it all definitely happened in 2003.

2 Likes

I’d imagine a lot of guys here are around my age (37) give or take a handful of years, since I was in college right around the time poker started exploding. The sad thing is that the majority of players left are all roughly 30+, there just hasn’t been a new influx of young players to take the reins.

I’d like to think I’d still be fascinated by the game, even if I were in my early 20s now, but I guess the TV offerings and media we have today aren’t enough for most young kids.