Poker Hands and Strategy

behold - the worst played hand of my life

Early in a tournament. Let’s say 100bb stacks effective for everyone.

EP makes it 2.5bb. MP calls. BU 3bets to 8bb. Folded to hero in BB who looks at AKo.

Normally, I would say usually 4bet but sometimes flat. However…

This is an 8-game mix tournament. Button is an experienced mixed game player who clearly prefers limit games and isn’t a NL fan. He could have a super nitty 3bet range of AA, KK, and maybe QQ or he could be wider, but I don’t expect him to 3bet light. This is definitely a raise for value. I just don’t know if he plays TT and AJ this way.

I think all three options are reasonable, depending on my read. If I 4bet, I should insta-muck to a 5bet. What would you do?

4b to 20 bb and fold if either ship. The key here is 4betting keeps your range uncapped, so you can still have KK or AA playing this way, and they rarely do if they just-call your 4b

Folding yourself to the 3bet is better than cold-flatting oop.

[all this assumes both villains aren’t the punting type, in which case I’d 4b/call]

~60 BB in a 5/10 game

drunk looking opponent directly to my left is pretty deep. this is my first orbit, I had AQo utg, raised to $25, he makes it $75. 2 hands later similar thing with AJo but I decided to fold that one pre.

I am in CO with JJ, make it $25. he makes it $75 again.

this is the third reraise in a few hands, I’m not putting him on a super tight range 3 popping a CO raise like this. given that he played really weird and aggro in the one postflop hand against me, and not wanting to play JJ in an awkward sized pot OOP, I decided to go all in for my remaining ~50 bb’s, hoping it looked weak.

thoughts? these spots are always awkward for me. if I have an overpair, not a lot of worse hands are likely to call a value bet. if A/K/Q comes on flop I’m turning my hand into a bluff a lot.

he tanked for 30 seconds and called with JQo

Seems like ez shove

1 Like

whats the bottom end of your shove range here?

for value? Prob 77, A10s, QKs. Dude Def sees you as weak.

1 Like

Real question is why are you playing a cash game so short?

So you can get it in pre with hooks and not have to make tough decisions!

1 Like

i like to buy in games with half stack sometimes

personal preference, especially in a new game, I may play for an hour w a small stack and then load up to the max if I haven’t naturally already. decisions are quite a bit easier pre and post flop and players often play incorrectly against smaller stacks.

long story was this night was because I had been unable to sit in a Mexican Poker variant I’d only just heard about (which sounds like the best thing I ever heard of tbh) but couldn’t sit, I suspect due to being too white o/s because I wasn’t even allowed to rail despite 15 other dudes railing and my seat never would get called. so the only other thing I could sit after waiting for 1 hour was 5/10 which I don’t always play, and I bought in for $500 so I could have at least 2 bullets.

this guy gets it

50 bigs is a really awkward stack size, as you discovered in this hand you end up having to overbet shove because you can’t 4bet fold. I think if your plan is to buy in short to get a feel for the game etc you should buy in for the minimum so your 3! can be a shove. Assuming you can buy in for 20 bigs of course.

40bb is the better play than 20, as rake in most games will murder you that shallow. Plus you are just rejamming which is boring as batshit.

Seat 1 and Seat 2 are HU on the turn, S1 checks, S2 asks how much he has back and S1 starts to place his stack of ~$275 in green out in front in stacks of 4. S2 shoves as soon as he gets a view, which is before the first stack of $100 is placed down. The dealer assumes that the money being deliberately placed in the betting area is a call and quickly burns and turns. S2 flips over his cards and then S1 says that he never acted on the turn.

What’s your ruling?

What’s the house rule on what is a bet? Betting line, forward motion, etc?

S1 was just counting out his chips upon request, but over the betting line? Not a call, dealer acted prematurely. Seems pretty odd for the dealer to consider this a call or indication of an AI without any verbal confirmation from S1.

1 Like

My instinct is to ask the players if they are willing to chop the pot or if they want a ruling. If they agree, problem solved. If not, I’d probably rule that all bets get refunded and the hand gets re-dealt.

Obviously, the dealer screwed up and either player can be angling here.

It depends partly on the house rule about the meaning of putting chips in the betting area. It depends on how fast the actions occurred. But, overall, it’s a mess that I don’t want to sort through because it involves guessing about player intentions.

There’s no betting line, it’s forward motion. What I would consider the betting area for S1 is not very far forward. It’s awkward because S2 didn’t ask for an exact count, he just wanted to see S1’s stack, which was covered by his hand and if someone asks how much you have and it’s half a stack of green, taking it forward and cutting it out in front of you isn’t a standard reaction. Plus, he didn’t start actually cutting the chips until after S2 saw his stack and immediately went all in (so he clearly doesn’t care about an exact count at that point).

Everything happened pretty fast, the dealer made a mistake, but I can understand how he interpreted what happened as a call. S1 should have stopped the action before allowing the river to come out, but he seemed like a less experienced player. S2 is definitely not angling, he’s not that kind of player and he just shoved as soon as he confirmed that S1 had less than a PSB.

I don’t think that S1 was intending to angle with his action, but he didn’t say anything until after seeing the river and the opponent’s cards and I think he almost certainly would have just accepted the pot if he hit the river. I’m also kinda biased against S1 because he wouldn’t shut up and let the dealer explain to the floor what happened.

The actual ruling was going back to the turn and allowing S1 to act on his hand with knowledge of S2’s cards. He folded so I don’t know, but I assume that if he called he would get a new river.

The general rule is that any board cards dealt prematurely with action pending do not stand and go back in the deck. This is true even if it goes bet-call and a card is dealt prematurely while action is still on a third player, who decides to fold.

If you rule it as not a call, then seat 1 gets to act, the premature river is shuffled into the deck, and a new river card is dealt.

I think that in this particular case though, where S1 got to see the river and his opponents hand before objecting, it could potentially be a better, though totally nonstandard, ruling to say nothing about what will happen to the river card and if he calls, then say original river stands.