Poker Hands and Strategy

Just had this one in 1/2 online. All in on flop. I had the 55. A bit surprised I am a dog. I did think of folding but didn’t. Ended up losing.

I can be a huge favourite in the best case

yeah it’s not a good spot 3 way at all.

I was second all in. Not sure what to do in that spot when I can be a 80% fav or a 25% dog depending on their other three cards. Seemed so likely they had one ace.

Cold folding to one all in there seems wrong.

Just gotta fade half the deck on two streets. Ez game.

1 Like

Indeed. I just found it interesting I can go from 80% fav to 25% dog based on thier other cards.

Are you just cold folding the flop facing an allin?

You’re a small favorite against two random aces.

Should be okay if you’re calling all-in for a single pot-sized bed on the flop and suicidal if you’re up against two competent opponents in a pot that is 3bet post flop.

There are some opponents who only bet/raise the flop on a paired board in a multi-way pot with a range so heavily weighted toward boats that you can fold the underfull to a single bet on the flop.

You can be a lock in the best case if they both have AKQQ.

Actually you can go from 100% to 0%.

Noone has mentioned that one of them can have A5 here, and then you’re dead to running Ks.

I don’t think it’s too hard a fold against competent opponents assuming the pot wasn’t already pretty big preflop.

Good point. I did consider A5xx.

Those are some garbage Axxx hands you are up against.

Online with a small stack? No. Super deep live in a 5/10/25 game? I’m not going broke with a shitty underfull in a single raise pot. It’s all so stack / game dependent.

1 Like

Ya. I agree. In my live game I find a fold as we are so often 300bb+ deep. Online with 100bb stacks I find this harder to fold but looking at some of the responses I think it’s a fold. There are just so many better spots in most plo games.

Anyone have any resources for general adjustments to a bounty tournament?

The obvious ones seem to be:

Calling lighter all ins since the bounty should make every call higher EV than no bounty.

Understanding that a player will try to isolate an all in and you should expand your range as such.

Aggression to build up a bigger stack to increase chances of bounties.

I would add being short stacked is much worse in a bounty than standard mtt.

I’ve been trying to get back into poker a bit more now that crypto dying and need my gambling fix. Have found upswing to be decent refresher. Not sure if this is too basic for what you’re looking for, but seems to make sense to me.

1 Like

Great article. Thanks!

I’m playing the mystery bounty with randomized amounts which completely throws a wrench into the chip calculation, but the general ideas make sense are and very helpful.

If you want to get really mathematical, you could calculate the EV of the remaining bounties and use that (sort of like in Deal or No Deal). Might be too hard to track, but could just use the starting EV and do rough estimate based on how many bounties have been claimed and whether the big bounties are still out there.

Here’s my 1500 HORSE bust out hand halfway through the last level of the night. If I win, I have over an average stack.

A deuce brings in. 5 completes. I two-bet with (J9)Q. I have the biggest door card. No one has a K, Q, J, T, or 8 showing. I have a very live two-flush. Villain calls.

On fourth, I have (J9)QK vs (xx)5Q. I bet, he raises, I call.

Fifth: (J9)QKT vs (xx)5Q2. I check, he bets, I call. I check call because I think he bets 6th.

Sixth: I check-raise and he puts me in for my last fractional bet. It’s (J9)QKT5 vs (QQ)5Q24.

My river is irrelevant and he catches a deuce to knock me out.

fourth is a pretty strong raise from most opponents think it’s one of those crap that you’ve put so much in already but gotta save the remaining bets and hope for better afterwards spots

third is a rather solid range of a complete too if it’s soon after the bring in and opponent isn’t a loose player, I might’ve just let it go there. (also might’ve done what you did tho)

he raised a card that is supposed to be a huge brick for his range and equity vs you (even if it does make it more likely you don’t have a pair of Q’s, that K hits quite a few Q iso bluffs like that)

My plan was to fold fifth unimproved. I think I’m getting the right implied odds to call the raise on fourth for a chance to bink a ten, but I’m not sure how to discount that for the reverse implied odds when I pair. I might still fold some pairs on fifth because he is raising against the much stronger board with a bet from a player I know he perceives as very tight.

I think my opponent folds most one pair hands to me on fifth. He had a big stack and was kind of aggressive on early streets, but didn’t spew on late streets. He has hands like (A4)5 in his opening range.

Stud high is my weakest game in HORSE. I can handle the early parts of a tournament when you have a lot of hands with four players seeing fourth. I’m less certain when we get to the part where good players have re-stealing ranges.