On the Origins of Covid

I’m just skimming the thread but I gather it WAS the Jews after all? I’ve suspected this for some time.

6 Likes

You ever seen 12 Monkeys, the Bruce Willis one? That character at the end who releases the virus was meant to be a chinaman Chinese fellow but they used a White American actor because double racism.

5 Likes

Question for lab leakers: if a criminal is on the loose in NYC, would you conclude that it’s probable he escaped from Rikers Island? I mean, you wouldn’t, right? Even though Rikers specializes in warehousing criminals and has an extremely high criminal / sq. ft. ratio compared to the rest of the city, you intuitively know it’s not probable.

4 Likes

He was traumatized when earlier in his life Dr House gave him a medically unnecessary rectal exam, and became a terrorist

2 Likes

They might conclude it was possible, and that merely saying so wasn’t that racist.

I don’t think I’m a lab leaker, but I’m interested in the idea that it’s a racist concept. It seems like if you suspect the people with,

a goddamn collection of NFT coronavirus moments, that kinda transcends everything else.

I like your analogy though and it’s why I’m not a lab leaker, I think. The people at Riker’s Island are good at not letting prisoners escape and the people at the virology lab are good at not letting the viruses escape.

The flipside analogy though is if you were living next door to David Hahn and got some mild radiation sickness, you might give a little side-eye to the guy building a reactor in a backyard shed. And I don’t think the notions of his race or culture would come close to entering the picture.

2 Likes

Lawnmowerman, that’s a beautiful avatar. On my dark background it almost looks like I could grab it.

And speaking of avatars, I’m willing to look dumb and ask, @pyatnitski, what is your avatar?

1 Like

There must be something I’m missing though because it’s kinda blowing my mind that “those dirty disgusting chinamen Chinese fellows and their bat soup” is the not-racist take.

I had this guy say exactly that, but he later amended it to something like the Chinese created the virus as a bioweapon in order to {checks notes} fuck their own shit up tremendously. I was like, ok, that’s equally dumb as shit but at least it’s not as xenophobically racist.

I had to explain that it’s a high-profile international lab working with other labs around the world, not some secret thing built 17 miles underground below a buddha statue.

5 Likes
What do you think is more likely?
  • COVID-19 jumped directly from bats to humans.
  • COVID-19 jumped from bats to humans through at least one intermediary species.
  • No opinion

0 voters

In my mind I was thinking “I hope those dastardly Chinese did create it specifically to kill you”.

I might have an easier time believing it was a CIA plot to release a bioweapon in China that backfired spectacularly.

It’s some irregular combatants from the Russian Civil war, but more pertinently it’s the cover image from the book ‘pyatnitski’ comes from (Byzantium Endures by Michael Moorcock).

Ah. I think I’ve asked you about your name before and you mentioned the book, but I went back to thinking you were Polish. (ancestry - I know English->France)

Yeah, I entertained that notion with the guy also considering the funding and support for the lab.

I also explained that his notion of the Destroying America because they Hate Freedom is easily thwarted. I know my personal plot wouldn’t rely on dumb Americans continuing to go out and eat each others’ asses.

Does “wacky lab hijinx” count as an intermediary species?

man, that’s a tough call, would lean intermediary.

I’d say no, unless “wacky lab hijinx” involved another species.

This question has been put to @j8i3h289dn3x7 and @CaffeineNeeded, who have both said that it’s racist to say it came from a lab, repeatedly and they simply refuse to address it.

At no point have I ever said that it’s those crazy Chinese and their bat soup. Meat markets everywhere are huge disease vectors, all over the world. Animal husbandry is the source of like all of humanities illnesses. Zoonotic transmission from a meat market is not racist. The Chinese are covering up a lab virus is.

Right but that’s an actual racist trope that is associated with the hypothesis that you claim, with no evidence, is responsible for the pandemic. And you go even further than that by saying that thinking the lab leak hypothesis is likely is racist and perpetrates racist tropes. That’s an accurate paraphrase, right? What racist tropes are being perpetrated by the lab leak hypothesis? How is thinking the lab leak is likely racist? You refuse to explain, but that certainly doesn’t stop you from flinging casual accusations of racism around.

And I probably shouldn’t have included caffeine in that last post, I think this tactic has been almost all you.