On the morality of doxxing shitty cops using violence against innocent civilians

https://mobile.twitter.com/hunterw/status/1268932011621744640

1 Like

Exactly. Except as a tacit encouragement to some sort of action against the person being doxxed. Which, if you think some sort of vigilantism needs to be taken against this cop or that cop then google it yourself and then go do it. Get out there and start making moves!

3 Likes

I can’t believe I am pointing out the obvious to the few idiots we have on this forum …

The possibility/threat of doxxing is a form of deterrent against police brutality when the normal accountability channels are not available.

2 Likes

Has anybody disputed that?

Vigilante justice exacted by whosnext would be an even more powerful deterrent. Don’t passive-aggressively post addresses hoping someone else does your dirty work for you, get in there and get the job done!

This is such a horrific take it has to be a troll of some sort.

You don’t think fear of doxing is a deterrent?

Setting aside the posting of his address, public shaming is a deterrent and it’s in a place where state justice is an abysmal failure.

1 Like

Of course it is. So is murdering people. Deterrence is not a justification otherwise all doxxing is justified.

Ok, wanted to make sure I understood.

I don’t think anyone was suggesting that doxing is not a deterrant.

wat?

Say you make a credible threat to murder me. I hope the mods will doxx you. At least I hope they let me know.

And like with “murdering”, some people think some killing is justified.

1 Like

I was pointing out that whonext’s suggestion that doxxing was justified because it is a deterrence is morally laughable and means all doxxing is justified because it’s always done to deter behaviour the doxxer doesn’t like.

Is this logical?

Yes?

It actually illustrates the very problem with doxxing. You lock someone up after they have went through a formal process of finding guilt and being given a theoretically appropriate punishment. Doxxing skips all that and goes right for punishment.

That’s nothing unique to doxxing. And “formal process” could mean just about anything. Can we have a vote on this site about whether or not to doxx someone? If we do that is it still wrong?

Pretty important part of whosnext’s post as well.

1 Like

Except they aren’t gone. All the big cases so far, including the one which started all this, has resulted in firing, suspension during investigation, or actual criminal charges.

Because the cops were doxxed. (not necessarily their address - but public outing and outcry of their names)

There are hundreds of videos out there of cops clubbing and gassing passive protesters - don’t know who the cops are yet - none of them will face any repercussions.

1 Like

I mean, this isn’t true at all. You can be locked up awaiting trial based on much flimsier evidence than a fucking videotape of you assaulting a geriatric man while armed with 5 different weapons.

I’ll also repeat that every criminal defendant awaiting trial has their name and address published by the state. There are entire industries who make money by scraping arrest records and sending advertisements for defense attorneys to people who just got a DUI.

This whole discussion is really weird to me. I always understood doxxing to be giving personal info on someone participating in an anonymous online platform. If you’re already identifying someone by name, then it just seems like theater to act shocked that you’d publish their address which is available from a million different sources.

Lol now you are just changing the definition of doxxing to identified.