Nursery Rhyme Wars

This whey talk is good and all, but where will I ever find a tuffet?

Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey.

• There came a big spider
  • Along came a spider
  • Down came a spider
  • Some other version
  • I’ve never heard of this rhyme

0 voters

The reference is almost certainly out of your wheelhouse

1 Like

Surprisingly, the wiki doesn’t even align with how I learned the rhyme as a little kid.

Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet,
Eating her curds and whey;
Along came a big spider,
Who sat down beside her
And frightened Miss Muffet away.

That’s the right version. And anyone who disagrees can get fucked.

4 Likes

MrsWookie, despite being from a former confederate state, agrees with me completely on the proper Miss Muffet rhyme. Not sure why the wiki is whacky.

Too many syllables - “Down came a spider” is correct - the spider drops down on a thread - it doesn’t ‘come along’

little-miss-muffet-retelling_557x731

So many (wrong) versions on the internet - you’d think the ‘web’ would have a vested interest in keeping the story straight. Even worse is that so many images have her clearly sitting on a stool or chair - wat?

2 Likes

Your version is correct and shame on @MrWookie for falling for the QAnon version.

For reference tuffet rhymes with buffet.

I used the blur, because I couldn’t find a strike through tag that worked here. My intent was to annotate the changes relative to the wiki. But the authoritative line is

Along came a spider

Despite the wiki’s

There came a big spider

And

Down came a spider

Is just dead wrong.

I was actually doing some meter analysis of the rhyme, and it’s meter is inconsistent. The first three lines are a dactyl (stressed, unstressed, unstressed) and a trochee (stressed, unstressed), although with an extra stressed syllable at the end of the third line that serves as a delineation between the two halves. The meter changes in the second half. The two final lines, which are not in dispute, appear to be two amphibrachs (unstressed, stressed, unstressed), once again with an extra stressed syllable on the last line to terminate the poem. “Along came a spider” is likewise two amphibrachs, as is “There came a big spider.” “Down came a spider” does not fit this pattern, as it’s instead the same as the first two lines.

1 Like

I do believe you’re right and I’m wrong - missed that the word “down” is on the next line so it wouldn’t be repeated.

I think I may have mixed this spider up with the spider who was washed out of a water spout when the rain came down.

Researching this has led to incy wincy vs itsy bitsy … if definitely incy wincy :spider:

2 Likes

As a father of toddlers, we have lots of books with the itsy bitsy spider, and not a single edition of incy wincy.

What kind of spider went up the water spout?

• Itsy bitsy
  • Incy wincy
  • Some other kind

0 voters

I know the original was itsy bitsy, but I voted for incy winsy because I’m progressive and believe we can do better

2 Likes

If you like we can organise a book exchange. (I believe I can source 3 incy wincy versions easily.)

How many bridges in London are falling down?

• Just one
  • Several, or at least two

0 voters

1 Like

There’s clearly a lot of nonsense on the internet - who knew? - as I was looking for Ring-a-ring o’ roses and the first hits (and there were a few) comes back with

Ring Around the Rosie

Ring-a-ring-a-rosies
A pocket full of posies
A tissue, a tissue
We all fall down

Rosie … a tissue … what’s going on?

wiki

1 Like

My wife says there is no correct version of any nursery rhyme because they are oral traditions passed around by children so some variation is natural and part of the fun. Exception: ruining flow with wrong number of syllables.

Source: librarian :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

we didn’t use "tiger’ when I was very small kid a long time ago … and I’ll leave that one there.

5 Likes

Yep definitely started out not tiger.

What in tarnation? A tissue?

Ring around the rosie
Pocket ful of posies

• Ashes!
  • A tissue!
  • A-tishoo!
  • Hush!
  • Husha busha!
  • Something else