Nursery Rhyme Wars

You’ve missed the correct version?

A-tishoo! A-tishoo!

(there now and voted for)

1 Like

It’s Ashes! Ashes! but was clearly Ashes to ashes.

I assume most nursery rhymes are about the plague or hurting minorities. Or your mother.

to the tune of I Saw The Sign

“I saw your mom,
She opened up her legs,
And said come on!
Isn’t she nasty?
She isn’t wearing panties.”

Oh my god upon googling it seems there’s no consensus on that one, either…

Yeah, it being a plague reference is almost certainly not true.

From two seconds of googling it appears like every country has their own version of this:

“I saw your mum,
She opened up her legs and I gave her one.
Her tits were outstanding,
I fucked her on the landing”

“i saw ur mom
she opened up her legs and said come on,
i said thats nasty
she sexually harrased me.”

“I saw your mom,
she opened up her legs and said c’mon,
it was scary, big black and hairy, looked like tom and jerry”

When you were taught the rhyme, what noise would the tiger have to make for you to let it go?

• Holler
  • Squeal
  • Some other noise/action
  • I do not know this rhyme

0 voters

Jingle bells, Batman smells, Robin …

• laid an egg
  • flew away
  • other
  • I do not know this rhyme

0 voters

Really don’t get “Ring around the rosie” - what the hell does that mean? … and as for “ashes” …

My mother taught me this:

“This little piggy went to the market.
This little piggy stayed home.
This little piggy had roast beef,
and this little piggy played Mahjong.”

I didn’t know any better until a girlfriend in college started laughing hysterically at this.

9 Likes

Wtf at “incy wincy”

Anybody who says that is a witch and should be thrown into the river to see if they float.

3 Likes

Does this mean you didn’t get a big tickle at the end when the 5th piggy went wee wee wee all the way home?

I was dumbfounded when my gf taught me the proper ending. I first thought she was making it up.

Bump

If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands!
If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands!
If you’re happy and you know it,

• And you really want to show it
  • Then your face will surely show it
  • Something else
  • I’ve never heard of this one

0 voters

If you’re happy and you know it, clap your hands

“Tiger” is not the original in this version. I learned that from Barney Miller (Harris specifically).

These tend to be regional differences, right? So far, only @skydiver8 and I have voted for the “face will surely show it”.

IIRC, sky is originally from Ohio, and I learned this rhyme as a kid from my dad’s side of the family who are also from Ohio.

It’s pretty reasonable to expect regional differences, but I don’t know where the lines might be drawn. On this one in particular, I feel like I’m actually in the minority compared to my kids books and toys that have the song. I think most of their stuff that has it has “face will surely show it.” I thought I had gone crazy the first time I heard it, like I’d learned it wrong as a kid or something. Thankfully, my brother had my back, and it turns out there are multiple versions. I don’t know if there might be more than two.

Washington state, fwiw.

Snips and snails and puppy dogs’ tails,
And dirty sluts in plenty,
Smell sweeter than roses,
In young men’s noses,
When the heart is one and twenty.
-Proust

+1 midwest/face will surely show it

1 Like

Entirely possible.

I don’t think I learned this song from my parents, but from preschool/teachers. Which would make sense, since neither of my parents are form Ohio originally. Like, I knew the original eeny-meeny rhyme because my dad is from TN and that song isn’t the only thing that’s changed over the years. You could ask him what they called Brazil nuts when he was a kid… :grimacing:

I didn’t vote because I’ve heard both, although the first reply feels more common.