Cooking Good Food - Ramens of the day

I have plans to visit my brother and his family. One of the activities I am hoping to do with my nieces is make some homemade cheese. Heat milk, add acid, drain.

If anyone wants to do this, one thing that a lot of recipes suggest is to add your acid little by little until the curds start to separate. What isn’t obvious from those instructions is that you want enough acid so that the whiteness has coagulated into solidity and you are left with non-white whey. Also, make sure you stir while heating to avoid burnt milk on the bottom.

Now, I have some queso fresco and some whey. Any ideas?

Sub in whey for water in almost anything, esp. baking or like rice or oatmeal or dried beans. Also pickling maybe.

1 Like

I’ve never used water to pickle anything, but I only make refrigerator pickles.

I have plans to use it in a smoothie. I will try with some of the other ideas. I have almost a gallon, so I wonder if I can reduce it.

At a restaurant where I once worked, we would use whey to braise proteins like shanks and shoulders.

If I’m remembering, whey is rich in enzymes that assist in the breaking down of lean proteins and inter-muscular fats. After braising, we’d strain and then reduce the cooking liquid before mounting it with butter as a sauce for the dish.

If you’re raising any heritage pork or spring lamb, whey is also a good food supplement for animals that you’re bringing to slaughter.

2 Likes

One loaf didn’t survive long enough for the photo:

Other than shape, everything else was close to perfect. Thin, crispy-chewy crust that crackles when you squeeze it and soft inside. Still worth making again even if I don’t improve on shaping. Also tastes really good and my place smells like bread.

7 Likes

16 posts were split to a new topic: Nursery Rhyme Wars

Just a reminder in case you forgot because of people dropping dead next to you from the 'rona:

It’s hatch chile season. Stock up for the coming year!

My local stores up here in Western Washington have started roasting.

4 Likes

I added whey to some chicken soup. It added an underlying tanginess and texture that reminded me a bit of avoglemono.

My wife has perfected Bún thịt nướng:

11 Likes

Are pancakes popular in the former USSR? It seems to me that you speak about them very often, and they are made with whole grains. In the US, we have pancakes with simple sugars, but these pancakes with whey and kefir are a new thing for me.

This is my favorite dish in Vietnamese noodle joints. I pity the fools ordering pho.

4 Likes

Man, I just order pho like a chump because I don’t know what I’m doing, that looks crazy delicious.

You definitely gotta try the bun. It comes with a whole vat of nuoc cham that you dump over everything. Absolutely fantastic. Your breath will smell like fish sauce for days.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it, but like, even if it’s so good it becomes my default order, pho is always going to be good enough to be worth ordering when done well.

1 Like

I don’t mean to be down on pho. I just really love bun thit nuong. There are so many amazing flavor, texture and temperature combinations happening in one bowl.

1 Like

Generally speaking, bun thit nuong is my summer go to in a vietnamese restaurant. Pho winter and spring go to when it’s raining buckets up here in the Pac NW.

1 Like

I think some form of pancake is popular almost everywhere.

Whey pancakes should be similar in principle to buttermilk pancakes, as whey is the leftover liquid from making curds/cheese and traditional buttermilk was the leftover liquid from churning butter. Kefir is really just milk that has undergone a food preservation process so that it doesn’t need to be refrigerated.

Pho is my favourite breakfast but buns are good for sunny days if you’re sitting down. I like bun cha hanoi. Obama made it (a relatively obscure regional dish) super famous.

Is this the same as bun nhit thuon except with ground pork patties?

Blini is like the most famous russian dish