Non-Political Ranting: Unleash Your Anger ITT

At risk of missing the joke (this is a rant thread) … the rejection of “thank you/you’re welcome” is a rejection of the dualistic, pay-for-everything, I helped and so you better appreciate it, mentality so many of us were raised with. I don’t need you to thank me for being a decent human (and you dont owe me for it), and that call-response is the gentlest reminder possible that also leaves me standing in integrity.

Kids these days!

2 Likes

This is nice and all, but Game Theory suggests that “tit-for-tit” dynamics are part of the glue that allows people to trust others enough to be somewhat vulnerable.

1 Like

I’ve seen it on a yard sign.

The purpose of any response to a thank you should be to close out the interaction, noting that the thanks is sufficient or more than sufficient…

The act was performed, thanks was given, “no problem/no worries” accomplishes that.

If kids these days think thanks/you’re welcome is doing a neoliberal, late-stage capitalism I fucking quit.

3 Likes

“I appreciate you” is a great tool to have in the belt, but it’s excessive as a replacement for thank you. I would think someone was being sarcastic if they said that when I held the door open or whatever.

“Thank you.”
“I appreciate you.”
“I take it back.”

2 Likes

Calling bullshit

Not sure what to tell you. It’s at least ten lifetime (all in the last couple of yrs).

Does your wife text and email you a lot?

If she did, she sure as shit wouldn’t write that.

She does text me more than anyone else, but still not what I would say is a lot.

Good point. That wouldn’t even be close to the mark. No idea where I even came up with that.

Maybe some guy whose salary depends on appeasing you texts and emails you a lot?

I’ve heard it multiple times from dealers in response to a tip. Maybe they were calling me a tightwad. Fuckers.

Oh I wasn’t at all implying that it’s not in wide usage.

No, I don’t have anyone that meets those specifications. I agree it’s fucking weird. I wouldn’t believe me either.

Shit. I go with “thanks, I appreciate it” sometimes to break up the monotony of “thank you John” when the same guy wins multiple pots in a row. Am I making a thank you faux pas?

Not at all. People here seem to think it’s over the top and I have heard that some dealers in one of the rooms I frequent get angry if you only tip $1, so I was joking that maybe they were giving me this treatment:

Getting all worked up over how someone acknowledges my thank you is a waste of time imho.

3 Likes

:point_up:

1 Like

Gentlemen. You cant fight in here. This is the complaining about pointless shit room.

1 Like

Oh yeah, forget where I was.

1 Like

I just realized I have been responding to “thanks” with “yep thanks” right back at people. I only ever say “you’re welcome” to my 3 year old when she says “ thank you” to me.