Non-Pol Hot Takes

Forget Taco Bell. Find a taqueria or at least a Mexican food truck.

1 Like

I donā€™t think you were ever SUPPOSED to like Walter. He was a pedantic dickhead from episode one.

the 2018 Curling gold might be the most improbable medal in US history. More so than Miracle 80.

I agree. But I think it was the idea that he was willing to make a completely different life choice that made people root for him, despite how dumb that move was. The last episode of season 1 definitely had you ā€˜on his sideā€™.

First time viewing I felt bad for him and thought the wife was awful. Second time around it was exactly the opposite.

Yeah, I mean, I always felt bad for Skyler, but a second watch shows how terrible he was to her the entire series.

I thought the first two seasons of BB they tried to make Walter somewhat sympathetic, which is why I still donā€™t care for those seasons. Season 3 onward I like though

Walt just wanted to cook a little drugs and make a little money and people kept fucking with him from day one.

1 Like

Pickles are great. Sweet dill pickles or relish are not, though Iā€™d still eat them if the choice is sweet dill or no dill. I donā€™t know why there has to be a sugary version of everything.

1 Like

This pickles/Breaking Bad juxtaposition ITT is certainly interesting.

He definitely had his guys deflate footballs.

This is just wrong. That Red Army team was ridiculous.

May need to open up French BBV to contain the hotness of this take, but excluding countries whose language is English, to my Americanized ear, English with a French accent is the best of all accents; but more importantly, nothing is more repugnant than French with an American accent.

Hot take counterpoint: Star Wars was supposed to be pretty corny.

It wound up striking a balance really well between cheesy spaghetti western in space, and mystical samurai thingy that thankfully didnā€™t try to go too deep into its own mythology, and since it was wrapped up in effects that were 100x better than anything else that existed before, it became this uber-phenomenon. It was also why it turned out to be impossible to replicate when going back to it and trying to flesh out the story further with the prequels (ā€œHey letā€™s really focus on world building, oh shit we just exposed how flimsy a foundation it was built onā€).

1 Like

Thereā€™s also the fact that Lucas didnā€™t really have the final version of Star Wars in mind while filming and relied on great editing to bail him out and make everything work. By the time the prequels rolled around he was surrounded by sycophants who told him every dumb idea he had was brilliant filmmaking.

1 Like

For sure, heā€™s always been the idea guy who needs to be heavily filtered to succeed. And yeah, Lucasā€™ wife famously made Episode IV what it was through editingā€¦the Death Star battle always had the perfect level of tension and pacing for me, and I was shocked when I first learned that she basically created the whole central idea that the DS was closing in on the rebel base and that the squadron was racing against the clock. Of course looking back, you can see that all those little moments were done with quick shots of tactical screens with voice-overs (ā€œDeath Star three minutes and closingā€) or unused/reused footage with Cushing (ā€œYou may fire when readyā€.)

Good short tube about plot holes created by the Star Wars prequels, only one of which was based on technology advances

Also have you ever noticed how Empire was far and away the best (to date) of all the Star Wars films? Iā€™m pretty sure that was because Lucas neither wrote the screenplay nor directed that one.

All modern scripted TV is boring and eventually ends unsatisfyingly. Except Succession, which was good, but will probably peter out like they all do. The first two seasons of Bosch were pretty good. But I got bored with the 3rd.

NewsRadio is the greatest scripted show of all time.

All modern superhero movies suck except the original Batman with Micheal Keaton, Dark Night Returns, Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy. The Supermans with Christopher Reeve were good.

Chronicles of Riddick is criminally underrated.

Paul Thomas Anderson has had one great movie, Boogie Nights, and a bunch of terrible ones.

Tarantino has had one great movie - True Romance, a few pretty good, and a bunch of bad movies.

Wes Anderson has had zero good movies.

The Coen Brothers have had one good movie - Fargo.

Luke Wilson is unwatchable. Owen Wilson is only watchable if playing an asshole.

Jake Gyllenhall, Tobey MacGuire, and Jason Schwartzman are all basically the same horribly unwatchable actor.

Oliver Stone is a hack - Platoon is unwatchable now and Wall St. is almost unwatchable. Everything else was terrible.

Scorcese and Kubrick are the only consistently great directors of modern times.

I have spoken.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a whole lot of awful takes.

A few good ones (most notably about superhero movies) but a lotta shit.