Non-Pol Hot Takes

Mine is James Rebhorn, who always feels to me like the same character. I just assume his character from The Game is out doing his thing in different cinematic universes.

Stephen Tobolowsky

1 Like

Me too.

I could find him if I keep googling movie generals. I don’t care, he’s that guy.

I dunno who Centre Guy is, but I think the guy just top right from him is Clarence Boddicker, aka Red from That '70s Show?

^Well I dunno what the hell’s going on there. @zikzak?

Fortress with Christopher Lambert

2 Likes

Still also looks more like Clint Howard imo.

You’re right tho, I think that’s from Under Siege 2 - which he’s in.

Where did you pull this shot from? I don’t think it’s him, but it kind of looks like Victor Garber.

So it didn’t say what movie it was from I’m guessing.

It’s Andy Romano.

I kind of enjoyed not knowing his name.

Thanks a lot nun.

1 Like

The image was inserted on the same line as the text. The reply box has a few issues.

1 Like

NED

lol, I can’t tell you how many things I’ve seen that guy in, and have no idea whether I can even identify one.

TED speakers are a bunch of sanctimonious bullshitters either taking simple, obvious things and revealing them as though they’re brand new ideas or taking complex materials and simplifying it to the point where it becomes meaningless and incoherent. They have almost actual impact on society and only serve to glorify the speaker among a select group privileged enough to afford to attend one.

Pretty much every speech is the same. “Here’s a problem. It’s bad. But not all hope is lost. Here’s the solution (no time to explain it in detail though!). Be happy and clap for me.” A good chunk of them are academics fishing around for deep-pocketed audience members to fund whatever project they were demonstrating to people. Others are people hoping to develop into some kind of “thought leader” which is really nothing more than a friendly way of saying grifter.

What’s crazier is that not only do their speakers not get paid but you need to apply to be an audience member. Once you’re accepted it’s at least $5K to attend and upwards of $250K if you choose certain membership options. It’s hard to be more elitist and pretentious than that.

There was a time when I was in my 20s where I thought watching TED talks made you more knowledgeable. But that was a delusion. It’s middlebrow entertainment that offers the impression that you’re learning something when you’d probably be better off watching cat videos on YouTube.

That said, they’re really useful when teaching students how to give presentations. They’re certainly a bit unnatural in that literally everything they do has been choreographed but they still demonstrate some important presentation tactics that are often ignored when speaking publicly. But for information? They’re bullshit.

6 Likes

Now you hurt my feelings.

I did a Ted-X a few years ago after our Reno Air Race disaster. It’s a really odd venue to speak at due to their format, but I kind of enjoyed it because it wasn’t like anything I’d done before, and the audience seemed to enjoy it. Led to a bunch of other speaking opportunities, which was also fun. And you got to sit and listen for the rest of the program for free, which I enjoyed about half of.

But it’s not the be-all end-all of public speaking, for sure.

MM MD

1 Like

TEDx is quite different from TED itself.

TEDx are run by volunteers who have a much lower barrier of entry for both the speakers and their audience. They’re also way cheaper to attend (less than $100 in some cases). They have a loose affiliation with TED in that they need a license from TED to be put on but not much more.So the issue of elitism is nearly non-existent imo.

In all honesty, I don’t want to listen to something on science or medicine that doesn’t allow for a Q&A session afterwards. You can’t say everything that needs to be said about a complex topic in 18 minutes. There are way too many details to gloss over and a Q&A can allow a speaker to add those details in response to the audience. If TED wanted to add some intellectual integrity to their speeches, they would mandate Q&A time after each talk.

1 Like

I had a few counter examples to throw at you like Brene Brown, who has made an invaluable contribution to social work studies and public mental health attitudes, but once I get beyond those few exceptions, maybe you have a point. I have known a few people involved with TEDx talks, but as discussed above, perhaps such events should be distinguished from regular TED talks.

Not sure if this is a hot take - but live music at a restaurant sucks in pretty much all situations. It’s almost always too loud. I feel bad for ignoring the guy (usually one guy with an instrument playing covers), but I just want to eat my food and have a conversation with my table mates.

For some reason places always like to do this on Sunday - when of all days you just want to chill and nurse your hangover or whatever. But nope - here’s a shitty cover of Crocodile Rock at 110 decibels.

AND ONCE AGAIN FUCK YOU STRAIGHT TO HELL CHROME AUTOCORRECT YOU USELESS PIECE OF GARBAGE WHY DO I HAVE TO TYPE THE WORD INTO GOOGLE TO FIND OUT HOW TO SPELL IT???!?? 5000 ROCK STAR ENGINEERS ALL MAKING $500K A FUCKING YEAR AND YOU CAN’T GET THIS SHIT RIGHT @#)$#($)#((

4 Likes