Non-Pol Hot Takes

I like Bach myself, probably not as much as Beethovan and I think the 9th is probably his best - it is really amazing - but that was a literary reference to one of my favorite, though perhaps not terribly widely read, books by Vonnegut; Galapagos.

It seems that every generation since the dawn of humans have said that ā€œthings were better in the pastā€ or ā€œdamn kids these daysā€ and the like.

Hot take: for the first time in history, these statements are correct: things are worse now than they were ten years ago, and things ten years ago were worse than ten years before that. I donā€™t think it extends beyond that. The internet has made the world worse off.

3 Likes

Nah, we just know about more of the bad shit that was already in existence.

Phrases like ā€œā€¦itā€™s a great show to kill some timeā€ or ā€œI had to kill some time, soā€¦ā€ are low-key some of the saddest common sayings that are for some reason taken to be normal or unremarkable.

1 Like

Is it for the first time ever? Hotter take: TV ruined the world as well. That said, both that and the internet came with benefits as well.

Like I donā€™t know that we get stuff like LGBT rights improvement etc done without mass media, but Iā€™m open to being convinced otherwise. TV as mass entertainment seems like straight downside.

1 Like

Potato salad? tartar sauce on fried fish?

1 Like

Gross and also gross.

I saw a documentary on a largely pre-industrial community I think somewhere in Southeast Asia and it mentioned a very indifferent attitude towards homosexuality. It happened and just was not an issue. I canā€™t find it now, but If you say being gay is not African, you donā€™t know your history | Bisi Alimi | The Guardian

Without mass media, like the Bible, maybe it wasnā€™t a problem.

See also the indigenous two-spirit people of Canada prior to colonization.

Iā€™ve done the same before. Thing is, it kind of is tho.

Letā€™s go deeper:

milqueĀ·toast

/Ėˆmilktōst/

INFORMALā€¢NORTH AMERICAN

noun

noun: milquetoast; plural noun: milquetoasts

1. a timid or feeble person.

ā€œJennings plays him as something of a milquetoastā€

adjective

adjective: milquetoast

1. feeble, insipid, or bland.

ā€œa soppy, milquetoast composerā€

Origin

1930s: from the name of a cartoon character, Caspar Milquetoast, created by H. T. Webster in 1924.

Caspar Milquetoast was a comic strip character created by H. T. Webster for his cartoon series The Timid Soul . Webster described Caspar Milquetoast as ā€œthe man who speaks softly and gets hit with a big stickā€. The characterā€™s name is derived from a bland and fairly inoffensive food, milk toast, which, light and easy to digest, is an appropriate food for someone with a weak or ā€œnervousā€ stomach.

1 Like

Even more irritating is when you had to look up Milquetoast and are like ā€œoh yeah, Iā€™ve looked that up before and forgot it already.ā€

1 Like

Fittingly, milquetoast takes arenā€™t very hot.

2 Likes

Milquetoast was named after Milk Toast anyway. Probably. So it is a food?

Real shocker

1 Like

Too much trouble, but I considered making a picture of Milk Toast with some sardines on top.

3 Likes

I always say I donā€™t want to be a genius or anything, I just want to be able to remember the stuff Iā€™ve already read.

2 Likes

Welcome to your 50s. Hope you enjoy it here.

Until youā€™re in your sixties, and everything is a new exciting experience.

MM MD

7 Likes

Garbage disposals are gross, unnecessary, awful and disgusting. Totally creep me out.

2 Likes