Non-Pol Hot Takes

Where does everyone get their oats from? My oats guy has been hand-delivering oats from a mile away for years now but feel like he may retire soon.

6 Likes

Some huge percentage of EVOO on sale in the US is fake or poor quality. AFAIK the problem is ongoing.

Donā€™t buy oils imported from Europe. If you can find a boutique local brand thatā€™s probably a safe bet. Also if you can find an Australian import, which might be tough, Australia has the strictest standards in the world for olive oil. The bottle should be labelled somewhere with ā€œAS 5264ā€, which is the Australian Standard applying to olive oil. I use Cobram Estate, but the brand Rexx posted was also recommended by Choice, a local consumer-advocate magazine.

1 Like

I like Cobram as well but probably prefer the other a little.more

I like full flavour stuff, Cobram have a ā€œrobust flavourā€ variant that I like, idk if Red Island have variants as well. Cobram is my everyday go to but if Iā€™m putting out oil to dip bread into or something, being from Adelaide there are some great boutique ones around from McLaren Vale etc. I like Primo Estateā€™s, itā€™s a radiant green colour, super flavourful.

btw when I was digging out those links above I found this amusing story:

Key to their success is the confusion, snobbery and ignorance that shroud the product. I have a little experience of this: I conducted a blind tasting of extra virgin olive oils a few years ago for a national newspaper that wanted ā€œthe truth on expensive olive oilā€.

We had a dozen oils, and a panel consisting of an importer, an Italian deli owner and a couple of eminent foodies: the results were so embarrassing and confusing the piece was never published. The importer went into a fugue after he was informed that heā€™d pronounced his own premium product ā€œdisgustingā€; the deli owner chose a bottle of highly dubious ā€œItalian extra virginā€ as his favourite (it had cost Ā£1.99 at the discount store TK Maxx); and both the foodies gave a thumbs-up to Unileverā€™s much-derided Bertolli brand.

I like to think I would do better than that, but who knows. Iā€™ve done blind tastings of wine before, both of different red varieties and of price points for both reds and sparkling whites. I do well on the varieties, and reasonably OK on price points but far from spot on. Last time we did one I rated $25 Jansz (sparkling white) lower than a $6 Seaview, although at least I had the $250 Winston Churchill as my fave. I also thought the top-priced $120 Pinot Noir we had was the $17 wine. Oops.

EVOO blind testing podcast!

I buy California Olive Ranch olive oil because USA#1 and I donā€™t want to give any money to Italian olive oil mafia counterfeiters. I donā€™t know or want to know if I would like it blind.

Oh shitā€¦ Is what Iā€™m hearing is that most all Italian olive oil is fake, because my parents just brought back a barrel full from Italy and it wasnā€™t cheap. Iā€™ll get the name of it when Iā€™m up, but itā€™s all packaged in those fancy tall bottles. :thinking:

Even if they got the real deal they still probably wasted their money. Olive oil is perishable. An opened bottle is only good for a few months, an unopened one maybe a couple years, tops. Sounds like they bought a lot more than they can reasonably use before it goes bad.

I just like saying ā€œnut oil.ā€

1 Like

Donā€™t spend too much. Our bean to cup DeLonghi cost < Ā£300 5+ years ago, still works like a dream with minimal maintenance and according to Which makes better coffee than most up to Ā£1000.

1 Like

Update: just did a blind taste test of soybean oil and my olive oil. Like a juice glass of each. They were both disgusting! And looking at the nutritional information on the labels I just consumed like 4300 calories. Bad!

4 Likes

Yesā€¦ Thatā€™s the 1 Iā€™m going to look at along with some Mathew Algies machines as I might get them cheap. :joy:

Yeahā€¦ They did, and are in the process of giving it away to family :joy: I got a rather nice looking Olive Oil from them but I donā€™t use much at all really.

Searching Which for you now ā€¦

DeLonghi ESAM2800 Caffe Corso at Ā£220 is what Iā€™d replace ours with if it died tomorrow.

Thanks for that Brother :blush::+1:

We buy California Olive Ranch EVOO as I believe it was one of only two brands that tested pure on multiple occasions.

Stick with a green 100% California extra virgin. It will be plenty good for anything uncooked. And most likely to be accurately labelled.
And use bacon grease or butter for cooking when available.
Most other oils are over rated.

Yeah I used to buy this because I knew it was made and controlled in California. Last time I went to pick it up at the supermarket, I noticed the bottle looked different and checked the size 2 font to see that the oil is now sourced from California, Portugal, Argentina, and Chile at the same price point. The company said itā€™s due to bad weather that resulted in a catastrophic crop. So I guess that means theyā€™ll switch back at the next normal crop, right? And also abolish their premium price RESERVE line of pure California oil as well?

Not that I necessarily care where itā€™s from. My point is that Iā€™m suspicious of olive oil in general and get fatigued from checking if Iā€™m being tricked. I guess itā€™s too much to ask that I can be confident a bottle of ā€œoliveā€ oil Iā€™m buying isnā€™t actually omega-6 cancer oil without hiring a research department.

So it was no coincidence that Don Corleone was in the olive oil business?