Non-Pol Hot Takes

The morality thing, really, is what bugs me. I don’t think it’s immoral to consume meat. Most vegans I know don’t even take medicine because it was “tested on animals.” That stuff I just can’t get behind and find it obnoxious. I find it obnoxious being called a murderer.

Is it morally better to consume a plant based diet. Ok maybe, I can do some gymnastics in my head to get there. But eating meat = immoral I just can’t and won’t get behind, and it’s the sanctimonious shit I find unbelievably annoying.

I find the environmental arguments FAR stronger than the ethical/moral arguments. I can and have gone vegan for periods of several weeks. I only eat fish and poultry 95% of the time. But the arguments are usually on the morality of it, and that irritates me. Combined with the fact that vegans, among a lot of other groups like anti-vaxxers, evangelicals, hard-core astrologists, etc. have this weird cult-like tribe mindset (reinforced by a shitload of propaganda) that compounds the obnoxiousness for me.

Most of the vegans I’ve known (not many) eventually reveal mythical beliefs about health and nutrition. Like, I’d guess there’s a significantly higher rate of organic, gluten free, all-natural ingredients buyers in the vegan sub-population. When I’ve probed them, they’ve told me about things that seem to frequently appear on the YooToobz and not in, say, academic journals. Or they take something that is true (aspartame is a neurotoxin) and extrapolate it to something there is no evidence for (it causes brain cancer). Edit: I think jmakin is pointing out mostly the same thing I’m saying.

Stopped seeing a vegan girl after she posted something from naturalnews.com on Facebook.

Might seem petty, but a girl like that probably believes some other fucked up stuff too.

For example:

https://twitter.com/CarlsJr/status/1162030775195316232

Free food! Who could get mad at that?
https://twitter.com/chriscejnar/status/1162043969141952513

The Facebook page for the free burger was full of comments like that.

Yeah it’s probably rooted in some very fanciful slippery-slope thinking that has them picturing an all-veggie menu within a year or something. The fast food equivalent of “next thing ya know they’re gonna make me get gay-married!”

In a vacuum I agree, but I think the world of industrial agriculture that feeds most of us has an awful lot of direct and indirect immorality that makes vegetarian-ish diets more defensible (but still hugely problematic). Vegetarians and vegans are right that the way they eat is usually better, but not for the reasons many of them give. They often end up on the correct side of the argument by accident.

As a counter-example, my stepfather is a srs biz hunter so I eat a lot of venison and other game. This is horrifying to many vegetarians, all vegans, and a lot of people who think nothing of eating a Bic Mac for lunch. But it is unquestionably a more responsible source of food than a factory raised chicken or heavily-processed vegetable patty. (Unfortunately it also isn’t scalable, which is a problem with all Michael Pollan-esque locavore diets.)

Whether or not it’s wrong to eat an animal is an overly simplistic question that doesn’t even have a meaningful answer. However, avoiding or minimizing meat in your diet is a pretty good way to increase the chances that you’re doing the right thing even if the precise mechanism is a bit murky.

1 Like

What about militant omnivores who think all food is problematic in one way or another?

Being a vegan in Scotland I would say before the EU was impossible I’d say and after Brexit, we’ll who knows. :sweat_smile:But it’s not looking good.

Before Sir Walter Raleigh’s introduction of the potato to the British Isles, the Scots’ main source of carbohydrate was bread made from oats or barley. Wheat was generally difficult to grow because of the damp climate. Food thrift was evident from the earliest times, with excavated middens displaying little evidence of anything but the toughest bones. All parts of an animal were used.

Even today its still evident that most Scottish food used Dairy products and our main dishes contain very little meat, but use all other parts off the animal.

Good Luck being a vegan after Brexit Ukers. :sweat_smile:

My brother and niece is Vegan, they never complain and are usually silent on the subject.

Vegetables

Clapshot
Curly kail
Neeps and tatties (swede turnip and potatoes)
Rumbledethumps – a traditional dish from the Scottish Borders with main ingredients of potato, cabbage and onion
Fruits

Blaeberries
Raspberries
Slaes
Strawberries
Tayberries

meet

Clearly one of the more discerning foodies

1 Like

I don’t eat meat because I’m married to the taste. I’ve had great-tasting vege and vegan meals with seitan and could easily live off that. What I don’t want to do is drink a gallon of pea protein shakes daily to get my PUMP on. Also, fuck carbs.

This is true of Malort, but is laughable about beer.

Unless you’re 12.

Beer is one of my staple foods.

I’d rather drink Malort than beer.

A good stout or Porter is a wonderful beverage, but these over hopped IPAs are garbage and taste like ear wax.

Trump could win my vote by putting out a “I hereby order all breweries to stop making IPAs” tweet.

I have no idea what Malort is but it’s a cast iron lock to be not as enjoyable as beer.

People who say they don’t like beer just haven’t found one that suits them yet (or have given up).

They’re for people who don’t like traditional cask ale and think it’s how “good” beer is supposed to taste, ie hipsters.

2 Likes

Recommend some witbier for someone who doesn’t like IPAs.

Malort is a Swedish, wormwood-flavored schnapps that has a cult following in Chicago.

The IPA hate is strange. I enjoy them and am probably the farthest thing from a hipster.