‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - Gun Violence in America

de nada

So a Canadian travels to some place with harsh drug laws, like Cambodia, and they find some pot seeds or other residue in the bottom of one of their bags and throw them in prison for a decade, I’m sure you all would be taking just as hardline a “fuck em, got what they deserved” stance.

1. Pot doesn’t exist for killing
  2. Can you legally fly with weed in Canada? Because you can’t legally fly with stray bullets in America.
  3. Residue is a lot different from live ammunition, which is a safety hazard even just by itself.

No one in the US is going to spend 12 years in prison for having two loose bullets in their bags that they accidentally brought with them.

Cool? The point is that it’s not like these clowns were doing something that’s legal in the US but illegal in Turks and Caicos. They were doing something illegal in both places, and they should have known better. This is most definitely not a mistake that could happen to anyone.

So we are arguing morality? I thought we respected other country’s laws no matter what?

Loose ammunition is a bigger choking hazard than any other danger.

Who is arguing legality? I’m arguing that it’s stupid to take a “fuck em” attitude toward someone who clearly didn’t intentionally flaunt another country’s laws and is now facing 12 years in prison. Clovis, and I guess you, want to turn everyone who doesn’t share their personal views on whatever topic and turn them into a caricature they hate and demonize them. It’s not a good look.

1 Like

Ten years for a dumb mistake is just absurd and it’s not even close. I’m hoping the lawyers negotiate this down to a fine or something.

1 Like

You’d think there would be a ton of pressure from the T&C tourism industry to plead it down.

1 Like

They flaunted their own country’s laws first. I may be willing to grant that 12 years is too much, but this is not a one-off accident where something that had been legal is now illegal in this one instance. This is something they absolutely should not have been doing under any circumstances in their own country, and they absolutely should have known it was wrong.

It’s illegal to fly in Canada with weed.

It’s not a caricature when all examples are American. It’s a factual statement.

Sanity in criminal justice unless it’s for an American lol

You said:

There is no evidence that the guy in question thought US laws applied in T&C. You didn’t even bother to check if it was legal to fly with ammo in the US, you just assumed it was AND assumed this guy was ignoring another country’s laws because you had already created a caricature of him in your mind that you wanted to demonize.

I assumed it was as legal to fly with ammo on the US? lol ok.

Please counter the argument that every single example is American. This is a pattern.

Isn’t the subtext here that there’s a certain leopards eating faces schadenfreude because there’s an assumption that the the people getting caught up in this are “law and order” types? The discussion above seems to be overcomplicating things.

In terms of actual content, Turks and Caicos does have a problem with gang violence, and illegal guns on the island are invariably imported from the USA. There’s likely frustration with the lack of gun regulation in the USA that spills over into gun violence in other countries in the Western hemisphere.

I don’t know what the perfect metaphor is, but imagine that Canada was the one with the insane violent gun culture, and it was spilling over into the USA. You could imagine the USA being very punitive about Canadian tourists bringing in loose ammo, and taking the opportunity to make a political statement with severe punishments for offenses.

2 Likes

I would imagine that airport security are consistsntly finding ammo in peoples carry on like in this case - especially in the mid west. I mean, i know of several stories like this and it comes down to security telling them that it isnt allowed lol. I doubt that the dude is going to do anytime unless there is more to this story.

Ok, answer this question, is this a pattern that affirms the premise you assumed, ie, that these people are assuming something is legal in another country because it’s legal in the US?

American media over-reports stuff on Americans.

1 Like

Two seconds it took

1 Like