‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - Gun Violence in America

This is the part I am not so sure about. Isn’t the very fact that they don’t bother checking local laws or their bags the very kind of American hubris that has created US tourists stereotype reputation?

Anyway, of all the injustice in the world this one is at the bottom of the list I care about. I’ll leave it at that.

Who cares if they are American? The guy wasn’t smuggling arms nor was he carrying the ammo intentionally, it was a harmless mistake and doesn’t deserve serious criminal punishment anywhere.

As far as I can see 100% of the news stories are about Americans. I gave up at page 9 of google news to find one about a non American. Only Americans travel to Turks and Cacos?

Yes, because guns are extremely common in the US. You’d be surprised how easy it is to wind up with some stray bullets in a bag or your shorts. I don’t own a gun and never will. Yet I go to a charity clay pigeon shoot every year. On at least one occasion, weeks later I found a stray shotgun shell in the cargo pants I wore that day because I didn’t have one of the little ammo pouches that are common. I could easily have wound up in a similar situation if I’d been traveling abroad shortly after. There is no way you can seriously argue that I would deserve 12 years in prison for that.

1 Like

Do most gun owners just have loose ammo lying around? I get that it’s not super dangerous by itself, but it’s not completely safe either and would think reasonable people would secure it.

12 years is harsh, but I’m struggling to have much sympathy for an irresponsible gun owner.

1 Like

Do you even know any Americans IRL? It’s pretty obvious that your view of Americans is based on whatever headline has the largest type size on your screen.

2 Likes

We need an @bestof for roasts.

1 Like

Turks and WOKEos, amirite?

6 Likes

lol I know lots of Americans. My brother lives there and is married to one. There are tons of awesome Americans. Everyone on this forum for example. But there are tons of awful ones too.

It’s funny how often your patriotic hackles come up. Remember yesterday when you posted that I should shut up from the “hinterlands of Canada” but thankfully saw the error and edited it.

Maybe self reflect why you are so often triggered by criticism of your country but only when it comes from a non-American. This whole site’s reason d’être is criticism of America but you seem especially triggered by me.

1 Like

I imagine familiarity with it removes a lot of the perceived danger around loose ammo, add not having to transfer ammo around multiple bags and it is easy to see how someone could lose track of it.

The punishment for finding people with ammo should be based on the number of rounds with less than 30 just being a kick in the nuts.

I’m not triggered by the criticism of actions of the US Government. I’m triggered by people who live in some backwards hinterland thinking they know what “Americans” are like.

You’re just intellectually lazy. However, rather than keeping this fact to yourself, you shout it from the rooftops when that uncontrollable urge hits your fingers to type.

Thanks for making my point.

Gonna sign off from my backwards hinterland now.

Cheers. :grin:

I understand that your tank is empty right now. See you back here after you’ve skimmed a few more headlines.

I “skimmed” 9 pages of news reports to make my point.lol.

1 Like

5 Likes

When you say it like this, it almost sounds like clovis has his finger on the pulse of America.

3 Likes

lol took me a second to see my typo. I wish it was actually called Merica though. That would have been awesome.

I am okay with countries having serious anti gun laws. It’s on you if you visit another country not to break the law, accident or not.

2 Likes

I could argue it. Again we are looking at it from the point of us laws and not a country with real gun laws.

I get why having ammo is a crime. If you made that mistake it would be on you. As would violating any other law of a country you visit. Traveling the world isn’t happy fun time where you get to just say “I’m an American”.

If people are not going to be careful packing for a trip out of the country, they should not be going. You also should have some familiarity with the local laws and customs, especially ones that are divergent from where you live.

Carrying ammo is illegal in Turks and cacaos. Should they give an exemption for ignorance or forgetfulness? Do we do that for serious crimes where we live?

I’m just not going to be bothered about these particular “victims”. I think too many people don’t take traveling to foreign countries as seriously as they should, especially Americans who probably have one of the lowest travel iqs in the world.

Just for reference, all of these clowns were in blatant violation of US law, too:

Ammunition

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
  • Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.

No, carrying a couple of stray bullets onto a plane is not something legal for Americans to do even in America.

1 Like