‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - Gun Violence in America

You’re advocating for a society that says it’s ok to kill people for reasons like revenge, symbolism, and prevention of future crimes, on a large state-sanctioned scale. Pretty clear to me what message that sends and it’s exactly the logic that other murderers use.

3 Likes

Where we disagree is that I don’t think that mass murders and executions are qualitatively the same.

1 Like

A rose by any other name

Meanwhile in Canada:

https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2022/10/21/freezing-market-handguns

10 Likes

Monday in America:

This could have been so much worse. Shooter had body armour, AR -15, and 12.high capacity magazines. Only two dead so it didnt even make the news.
How many kids like this are out there in the wild waiting to explode? 1 thousand, ten thousand, more?

A few dozen

That should be reassuring, but it’s not.

It should be legal for the Alvarez family to hunt down and shoot Earls, then.

3 Likes

So wait, rewind past the bit where you have no legal recourse if someone kills you while spraying bullets around like Yosemite Sam. You’re allowed to just execute people who are fleeing the scenes of petty crimes? When does this capability end? Like if someone mugs me and then I see them the next day, am I allowed to just light them up with a Tec-9?

2 Likes

Is he coming straight for you?

2 Likes

Guess we’re supposed to feel bad for the guy spraying bullets everywhere and not the family of the child who was senselessly killed? It wasn’t reckless to fire at a random truck because you thought the person that robbed you was in it? Honestly it’s stories like these that make me remember how important it is to at least have a path out of this country for my child.

A Texas jury is not convicting you. As long as you’re like, pretty sure it was the right person.

Fyp

2 Likes

Chapter 9. Justifications Excluding Criminal Responsibility

SUBCHAPTER D. PROTECTION OF PROPERTY

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY.

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other’s imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

This law is insane.

The most insane part is you’re apparently absolved of any damage or harm you cause in the course of defending your property, up to and including killing a bystander. And not just with a stray bullet—the shooter actually targeted that truck!

It’s literally like if you get robbed at an ATM you have carte blanche to live out a GTA fantasy for the next five minutes.

Also, if this were a black shooter and white victim with the exact same facts of the case it would 100% be assumed gang activity and charged as murder/bad blood, with the shooter probably getting life behind bars.

3 Likes

I wish I hadn’t read that. Truly sickening.

Yea that’s what I don’t get. Like OK, it’s bad policy to have people attempt to stop robbries by force, but I could see a reasoning behind that BUT whatever happens in addition to trying to stop the robbery is on you. Instead we give everyone qualified immunity

Like sure there is some (terrible) logic behind letting people shoot people who rob them. But when you shoot and kill an innocent child you absolutely have to go to jail, probably forever.

Guns themselves have the weird aura of passivity around them. So many kids find their loaded parent’s guns and shoot themselves and it’s just a tragedy, not negligence. Also weird that, if we’re going down the path that anyone should have a gun for any reason, that there’s no PSAs about how to properly store and handle firearms. Just no firearm safety out in the general public at all.