‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - Gun Violence in America

Also know of 3 people that died from Covid. Two mid-50s and one mid-30s. All presumably unvaxxed based on their politics though one died before the vaccine was ready but I’d bet that person wouldn’t have gotten it. Know of two others that had to get admitted to a hospital for a number of days, mid-50s, confirmed unvaxxed.

ETA: and one more that I forgot about that was admitted to the hospital for well over a month but this was in mid-2020. That person definitely would have gotten vaxxed if it was available and presumably is now.

I don’t have FB but I have a pretty large group of friends/acquaintances between my wife and I. No clue what my sample size is but it’s got to be 500+. Just at work alone the number is 100-125. I work in a manufacturing plant that has been open throughout all of this and we haven’t had any employee deaths. No family deaths from it either and that must be 100+ people.

I don’t know anyone who died of covid, but I know six people with Long COVID (one resolved) and I’ve met plenty of people who lost family/friends and/or were hospitalized themselves.

One of the people I know with Long COVID has been in and out of the hospital 10+ times and recently told me he’s just hoping to survive long enough to see the whole football season. He’s a close friend, so I’m pretty worried about him.

You live in an area where you’re way more likely to know anti-vaxxers.

My mother’s ex-husband died of COVID but I’ve never met him so I didn’t count that. A guy who I “know” via poker (see him once or twice a month and know his first name only) was hospitalized, but I didn’t count that either.

Yeah those are the people I’m counting as knowing. Also family who I don’t talk to every year about but hear about a few times a year. Like one cousin moved across the country and we don’t stay in touch but I ask about them when I see my aunt and uncle or their siblings.

https://twitter.com/chron/status/1574451129580195847?s=20&t=QLdTMJfaBB74rqRUYZW4aA

They’re saying Cruz

10 Likes

I think we should sent Ted Cruz to south west Florida to defend the coast from hurricanes with an AR-15.

Know a few people who died from Covid. Hit different when it was on the front page of cnn though

3 Likes

I think the realization that everything is bullshit and the adults in charge are horrible people is just way more obvious, and earlier, relative to the past. It took me well into my late 20s to fully appreciate those things, todays kids have no choice but to confront it by their teens.

5 Likes

Weirdly the thing that got me to think that was college football, and specifically Brian at mgoblog showed how this was true all the time at various things

1 Like

Everyone knows AR-15s are useless against hurricanes, nukes OTOH…

1 Like

CNN just reported that there’s an active shooter in a hospital near Little Rock.

Nurses really should be armed.

My girlfriend was taught in nursing school that clients (that’s what they are told to call patients now) and their families are allowed to bring guns into the hospital, and you can’t ask them not to or ask them to leave, nor can you call the police about it unless/until they start shooting.

Fuck this country.

None of that has been true in all the places I’ve worked or studied

1 Like

Seems ridiculous to me but that’s what they’re teaching. She’s going to a community college in a Trumpy area about 30 minutes away, and has also experienced racism from staff, so it could be politics mixing in. The people teaching could just love guns and be freelancing the curriculum.

wat

There was a truly insane push like 15 years ago where hospitals lose huge money if patients report dissatisfaction, this was a real factor contributing to over prescribing addictive painkillers.

That was her reaction too. On day one of clinicals they said something like “Let’s clear up a common misconception. If you think you’re here to help everyone and put their health first, you’re going to be really disappointed. Healthcare is a for profit system and they’re not your patients they’re your clients.”

God Bless the USA!

I have no idea, but it is in PA, yes. I would have assumed hospitals were gun free zones and I would have assumed the policy was for nurses not to confront people with guns but to call police/security.