‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - Gun Violence in America

i’ve had a canister of bear spray in my house for like 4-5 years. woman i know was talking about being worried living alone so i gave her the bear spray to take home… took her less than 5 minutes before she accidentally sprayed herself and we legit had to vacate my house for an hour smh.

side note: in 7 days and less than 2 hours, she’ll be able to legally carry a loaded handgun in her purse, despite never spending a minute on safety. :flushed:

2 Likes

Bear spray is for women, so if that home invader turns out to be your daughter sneaking back from a party, that is just the price you have to pay to be a real man.

This is accidentally a great reason to use bear spray instead of guns.

you think?

Sorry, should not have said accidentally

1 Like

after that night, i’m really not sure which i would pick if my choices were getting shot in the arm or taking a full spray of bear mace to the face.

it really did take an hour or so before i could even come inside to open the windows and get some fans going. inside of her leg where she sprayed herself looked like a burn days later. that shit is no joke.

1 Like

8 Likes

I do the majority of my internet arguing these days targeting mainstream news comments on Facebook that lean conservative. I settled on (3) annoy them enough that they leave. It really doesn’t matter whether I’m nice and logical or hostile and trolling, the mere fact that someone disagrees with them induces negative feelings that will hopefully drive them to an echo chamber and clear a normie inhabited space.

2 Likes

What works best?

Beats me

1 Like

I mean, what works best to annoy them?

¯\(ツ)

2 Likes

It could be all sorts of things. Basing your actions on what it could be is dumb, especially when what people imagine could happen is always ridiculously dramatic. What was it most likely to be? Probably not a stealthy middle-of-the-night kidnapping through a haphazardly unlocked window. That’s a pretty damn rare event.

There are billions and billions of dollars made selling guys all sorts of useless dumb shit because we’re always fantasizing about saving the day with like a multi-function pocket tool and some half-remembered factoid about train decoupling procedures. It’s kinda sad and pathetic how much thought we put into these never-going-to-happen scenarios, but the harm is usually limited to wallets and egos as we pile one more stupid gadget on the shelf next to all the others collecting dust. Guns are a different story.

However, we’re also not very good at imagining really bad scenarios. We usually only imagine ones just bad enough that we can still save the day as long as we’re in possession of the right manly accessories. A kidnapped child? How horrible! I must be prepared to act heroically! You know what’s worse than having your child kidnapped? Blowing their head off yourself because you thought they were some highly improbable boogie man rather than the very common kid sneaking home late at night.

3 Likes

Own a dog. Awesome family member and protector in one.

2 Likes

If someone was trying to break into my window and I had a gun in the house and I had enough notice to ready myself at the window it seems entirely justified to shoot whoever crawls through. The story as told seems fine.

Of course I’m having a tough time imagining a scenario that plays out like that and the original story is likely highly embellished or entirely fabricated which is why I don’t have a gun in the house.

1 Like

I was reading a bunch about the Golden State Killer. He started as a cat burglar and then that eventually lead to rapes and then murdering the rape victims. From what I had read, the primary motivations for home burglary are sexual for the perpetrator. I think that makes sense. It is more likely that they are getting off on being in someone’s private intimate spaces than they are motivated to try and steal a VCR. Here is a link I found:

Especially a burglary done at night. He knows that everyone is home. If the goal is getting a VCR, why not do it during the day?

1 Like

…who steals VCRs these days?

2 Likes

From what I’ve seen on NextDoor it seems like the vast majority of burglaries in my neighborhood involve people stealing stuff from garages. Seems like that is trying to avoid meeting anyone.

who has VCRs these days?

Exactly!