Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Ok gramps

2 Likes

That was her? I went all the way through that movie without realizing that. I was also distracted by the fact that her eyes are so far apart that they appear to be on the sides of her head, like a bird

Not saying I wouldn’t place bets on her becoming an A-lister. Just that she, obviously, isn’t one now.

I tried Googling top actresses for 2022 and this is literally the first thing that came up:

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-star-records/domestic/yearly-acting/highest-grossing-2022-stars

1 Like

I think the combination of her acting chops plus attractiveness makes her A-lister. Acting alone/gravitas, probably not. But if not, she’s like B-lister with a bullet.

2 Likes

I clicked a few more links for fun, the consensus out there seems to be that Robbie is in a class of her own but Anya is showing up in a lot of these top 10 lists. I don’t know what “A-lister” is actually supposed to mean but she’s clearly a star already.

1 Like

This sounds right to me. I think A-lister means that people are significantly more likely to see a movie just based on the fact that she’s in it. That doesn’t apply to ATJ imo (yet).

Agreed, but I’m not sure I’d call any actress under 30 an A-lister outside of Zendaya and Saoirse Ronan. (Probably 2 or 3 others that I’m forgetting)

I’d place bets on ATJ getting there also, but it’s a stretch of the term imo to call her an A-lister right now.

Millie Bobby Brown is definitely A-List.

According to my teenager yes

1 Like

Idk if I’m “people” but that’s definitely the case for me

She was great in “split” and “the witch” a few years ago too which haven’t been mentioned

7 Likes

She’s on the way, Queens Gambit was huge and probably wouldnt have been (as much) with someone else in the lead. Lead on The Menu and One Night in Soho (one with great reviews and one with pretty good reviews.)

She will be the lead in Furiousa, which will cement her as an A lister in my mind if its even 70% as good as Fury Road.

Oh dude, totally whiffed on both these, but The Witch was far better than it had rights to be and shes a big reason why

1 Like

Don’t confuse A-lister with movie star. Eddie Murphy spent many years as a movie star but not an A-Lister, for example. To me, it’s more about the star’s power to command the studio based on the perception that putting this person in the movie means it will make money.

ATJ is an A-Lister in the modern movie culture for someone her age. Give her another ten years.

1 Like

Yeah, the reason I would regard her as an A lister is that producers are lining up to give her jobs, and her agreeing likely greenlights at least some films. That and having the most successful Netflix show in history solely focused on her.

She is kinda weird, creepy though. Doesn’t have the natural appeal of someone like Jennifer Lawrence. But maybe this isn’t a bad time for weird-hot kinda creepy star.

2 Likes

What do you find creepy about her??

If it’s her eyes, wait until you meet Stef Sanjati.

Formerly ran a makeup and queer advocacy channel, but now she streams video games on Twitch.

Apple Martin also has the eye thing (Gwyneth Paltrow / Chris Martin’s daughter)

1 Like

This is why she’s an A-lister to me, albeit a relatively newly minted one.

Tár

I think this is the first film since Birdman to make me think at the end “Did I like that? I’m not sure.”

I don’t know what I was expecting from this movie, but it sure as hell wasn’t that.

The beginning is horrible and should immediately disqualify the director from an Oscar nomination. The movie starts with the credits. Not just the name of the film and the producers and the top billed actors, the full fucking credits. It takes like 5 minutes. Then the first scene is an overly technical discussion about the theory composing with an audience as if it’s Inside the Composers Studio or something, followed soon after by a dinner meeting with even more discussion about composers I’ve never heard of. The fact that they were able to pull me back from that into something that was engaging is a not insignificant accomplishment.

I’m leaning towards it was a good, but not great film. But I’m not even confident of that right now. It’s definitely too long though. At least 30, and possibly as many as 45 minutes, should have found the cutting room floor.