Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Singin’ in the Rain
Sullivan’s Travels

Matt ILU

I am working on a story about bank robbers who did it to pay for gender affirmation treatment or surgery. In Dog Day Afternoon, based on a true story, the bank robber did it to pay for his wife’s gender affirmation surgery.

Al Pacino has been in several very odd movies like this that reveal he is a surprising but stalwart ally for queer people.

1 Like

You are a true frand ty!!

Saw the refurbished version of the exorcist 10+ years ago in the theatre when it was released. Lots of people laughing at the effects, no one seemed remotely scared. Has not aged well imo.

1 Like

If you mean the people you watched the movie with…

1 Like

Your mother watches bad movies in hell!

4 Likes

I do not

1 Like

Well, that’s 50% correct

1 Like

I condemn you to watching The Pope’s Exorcist

1 Like

Speaking of older movies, I just watched Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner for the first time.

Obviously, I knew the basic premise, but I wasn’t familiar with the exact particulars of the relationship. Am I to assume that race was the only objection to the marriage? Like, I can certainly understand how parents in the 60’s would object to an interracial marriage, but they hardly mentioned that there was a significant age gap, they had only known each other for a few days, and she was moving to a new country to be with him. Were these normal-ish things such that they wouldn’t have seemed strange, or was race just assumed to be such a bigger potential hurdle that it just overshadowed all of the other wild stuff?

1 Like

Speaking of Singing in the Rain and movies that haven’t aged well.

Just watched An American in Paris for the first time. Songs, dance is great, but this has to be top 5 worst plots on best picture history right? I also can’t believe they intended the main characters to be more unlikeable than everyone else.

they end up together at the end and I think you’re supposed to be cheering for it yet the two people that are their other love interests are much more likeable and they just fuck them over for no reason

I like the climactic dance number in An American in Paris, but the rest can be tough to watch.

Yeah I got the feeling if I skipped any time they weren’t singing or dancing I’d have enjoyed the movie much more and somehow it would’ve made more sense.

Also the fact they didn’t shoot on location for a single scene really is sucky, but I know that was the era.

Can’t rag on it too much though Gene Kelly is a Pitt alum :slight_smile:

Check this out:

1 Like

Top Gun Maverick

Finally got around to seeing this. Full disclosure: I did not like the original at all. But I had hope because of all the critical acclaim that this would be different.

It wasn’t. It sucked. Every single character is unlikeable. Several plot elements are just completely ridiculous. The romantic subplot was absolutely horrendous, even by romantic subplots in action movie standards.

I understand all the Oscar nominations for the technical categories. No complaints there. But this is an awful Best Picture nominee, and an even more absurd nominee for best screenplay.

3 Likes

Commie

2 Likes

Brave soul saying that ITT

3 Likes

top-gun-val-kilmer

Doesn’t surprise me at all that somebody who didn’t like the original wouldn’t like Maverick. A good portion of the enjoyment is nostalgia.

2 Likes

The wikipedia page for Glen or Glenda is a fun read.

bro do you even bro

1 Like