Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

One of my online game screen names is Flippin Gizzards because of the TV edit of “family jewels” in the blues bar scene.

1 Like

Infinity Pool is just very good. Did I mention that already?

1 Like

I should see it. I just find it hard to get that excited about movies that are older than I am. Of course the one I have seen is older too, but that one is on TV a lot. The one I haven’t seen isn’t.

Glad to hear

I had 19450 on my one try.

There are two relatively quick mid credit scenes worth sticking around for. But no post credit scene. Just a post credit growl.

Never would have guessed who that Bond actor was. You should definitely check out that other movie he was in.

It’s one of those seminal movies that once you watch it, you will understand homages, references, and rip-offs in literally a hundred other movies.

I would love someone to curate a list of “old movies that you’re probably not planning on watching because you think they’re too old, but that you should definitely watch anyway because they are awesome, and no you won’t be bored stop thinking that”.

Jaws is obviously on that list. For me, I think I’d include:

• 12 Angry Men
  • Casablanca
  • The Sting
  • The Godfather (is this so obvious? I would have thought so, but the whole Jaws discussion is blowing my mind)

But I also am definitely not interested in going through the history of classic films - for example, I thought 2001 was boring, and I still haven’t managed to finish The Seven Samurai. So it has to be perfectly curated to my particular taste.

Someone (SUB?) suggested a draft along these lines, and I think that would have been interesting.

1 Like

12 angry men shouldn’t be on this list, because it should be on the “absolutely everyone should see this movie” list. I regard it as the lone entry on my list of perfect films.

1 Like

I’ve seen The Sting and The Godfather (obviously). So I guess my list is up to 3.

I would put Rear Window on that list

1 Like

On the Waterfront

Psycho!!!

1 Like

There are lots of great old movies but these are the ones I think you could show to almost anyone and they’d like them.

Double Indemnity
Mary Poppins
Carrie
Enter the Dragon
Escape from Alcatraz
The Exorcist
A Clockwork Orange
Superman ('78)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Three Days of the Condor
The Graduate

2 Likes

Gonna say Rashomon is worth trying if you didn’t have the patience for Seven Samurai.

That’s not how I remember it

4 Likes

I saw Casablanca and the Graduate back to back when I was in high school. I was pretty bored by both. I think it’s true to some degree that you had to be there when the movie came out to really get the impact.

Lots of Paul Newman The Hustler, Cool Hand Luke etc.

The Conversation, French Connection

Not sure where casual ends and cinephile begins but obviously lots of the Sergio Leone and Robert Altman stuff is sick especially the good the bad and the ugly and the long goodbye

Chinatown

There are just so many insanely good movies from the 70s

Dog Day Afternoon

3 Likes

Hm that doesn’t look quite right to me, although a decent approximation.

The Kyrk part isn’t pronounced Keerk. I don’t know how to spell phonetically as it turns out, but to my ears the “Kyrkj” part sounds something like “Kjyr-kje”, where the closest sound Americans can pronounce is probably “chy/che” instead of “kjy/kje”. Can’t think of a sound equivalent to “kj” in English. The r is also a rolled R to complicate matters.

So more like chyr-che-bø. Or you can try to learn the kj sound - good luck!

I agree about the yeh and bø part, ø is pronounced exactly as the i in bird (never would have thought of that!).

1 Like