Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Yes

1 Like

I was in the process of impounding this very one, when I happened to switch it on

sure.

1 Like

Criterion really expanding its library.

NSFW NSFW

https://twitter.com/ianfaria13/status/1620914581299249155

3 Likes

Haven’t felt this uncomfortable since I was introduced to Michael Scott in The Office.

A welcome return to form for Eddie Murphy. And hell yeah that’s Sam Jay playing Jonah Hill’s podcast partner.

Jonah Hill’s parents are played by Julia Louis Dreyfus and David fucking Duchovny lol they’re like “what if Michael Scott and Holly had a kid” and we caught up with them thirty years later as their son is trying to have a relationship with a person of color.

Be warned that in the end, this is a crying movie.

ATJ isn’t an A-list celeb, cmon now.

I’d actually like a ruling from @Riverman or @LFS on this, as I know they’ve worked in the industry.

For me the answer is no.

LOL at Anya Taylor-Joy as an A-lister.

Has she been the lead performer on anything besides The Queen’s Gambit?

She was in The Menu, which I enjoyed.

Kind of a lead in The Northman, lead in One Night in Soho. But i agree I wouldn’t call her an A list

She was pretty good in Emma. I’d never heard of her. Still haven’t seen Queen’s Gambit.

She’s starring in Furiosa (coming out next year) - which should be pretty big (also stars Hemsworth and had a $200+ million budget).

She might not quite be A-List now, but if you had to rank top actresses under 30, I’m pretty sure she’s top 10, and if Furiosa is a hit, she will almost certainly be A-List.

2 Likes

Ok gramps

2 Likes

That was her? I went all the way through that movie without realizing that. I was also distracted by the fact that her eyes are so far apart that they appear to be on the sides of her head, like a bird

Not saying I wouldn’t place bets on her becoming an A-lister. Just that she, obviously, isn’t one now.

I tried Googling top actresses for 2022 and this is literally the first thing that came up:

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-star-records/domestic/yearly-acting/highest-grossing-2022-stars

1 Like

I think the combination of her acting chops plus attractiveness makes her A-lister. Acting alone/gravitas, probably not. But if not, she’s like B-lister with a bullet.

2 Likes

I clicked a few more links for fun, the consensus out there seems to be that Robbie is in a class of her own but Anya is showing up in a lot of these top 10 lists. I don’t know what “A-lister” is actually supposed to mean but she’s clearly a star already.

1 Like

This sounds right to me. I think A-lister means that people are significantly more likely to see a movie just based on the fact that she’s in it. That doesn’t apply to ATJ imo (yet).