Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

OG Blade Runner is a good movie. It’s a pretty classic example of a film that was groundbreaking at the time, and inspired hundreds of derivative works, so now if you watch it you think “what’s the big deal, I’ve seen this hundreds of times before!”

3 Likes

I didn’t say it was better! But I like it more.

Throw the shoe at econophile this madness saying Red Dragon is better.

The show Hannibal is also amazing. A food lovers delight.

1 Like

Red Dragon is definitely better.

Silence of the Lambs is all-time elite, Red Dragon is good, Hannibal is okay. I do kind of like Hannibal, but it’s 100% the weak link of the Hopkins trilogy.

I still need to see Manhunter.

1 Like

The TV show is excellent. I like Mads’ Hannibal as much as Hopkins’.

1 Like

Hard to argue. Red Dragon does not work for me. I also didn’t enjoy Manhunt, which bothers me given the cast and director, but I’d much rather watch Hannibal the movie and TV show than all of them.

The character of Hannibal Lecter works better for me when he’s caught. Him being an evil super genius out and about the town, like in the show, is just too weird.

1 Like

One nice additional thing about Silence of the Lambs is that its success is largely responsible for the ridiculously strong film career we got out of Hopkins after 1991. Seems like he was primarily a stage actor who occasionally got film roles, but then he shipped the Oscar for Silence of the Lambs and it woke the world up to the fact that they should try to get him for every film role that could possibly fit him. The world got a whole bounty of great performances from him after that.

The Remains of the Day, Legends of the Fall, Meet Joe Black, The Father, and The Two Popes are all elevated greatly by him. I suppose his role in Meet Joe Black isn’t the most demanding of these, but he’s still a huge part of why I love that movie.

1 Like

That’s a good point about Hopkins. He even has Shadowlands where he plays Christian sci-fi fantasy author CS Lewis. I think I saw it a long time ago.

Meet Joe Black is way up there for me. Lol at him already being so old in the 90s that he was playing parts about being old. Now it’s 2023 and he’s still killing it.

Let’s not forget The Mask of Zorro. A testament to his acting that it was easy to buy his obvious stunt double as young Zorro in wide shots. Close shots relied on a slimming black silhouette.

2 Likes

What in the absolute fuck is going on in this thread?

The score, alone, puts in it elite space.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone ITT is arguing it doesn’t deserve it’s place in cinema history as a GOAT. We also are being honest that we are not having an elite experience when watching it. Subjective experiences are what they are. I also don’t enjoy reading Jane Austen novels, but I recognize her place as a GOAT in the history of literature.

1 Like

100%. Also nobody is saying it is bad I don’t think, just not amazing. The sequel is amazing though.

For me all the tweaking and versions has partly ruined it.

Blade Runner and the sequel are both mind-blowing. Mask of Zorro is better than you’d expect. Our society needs a decent Zorro reboot, I’ve been saying that for ages.

1 Like

Our society already has Antonio Banderas back and swashbuckling in the form of the surprisingly strong Puss in Boots movies.

We got the next best thing: a comic book crossover between Zorro and Django.

1 Like

The Hannibal TV show was amazing and I can’t believe they got away with airing that on network TV, it has some truly fuck up images.

1 Like

I can’t believe they got away with not finishing it. God damnit

1 Like

Br2049 is one of the better films ive seen in theatres last decade.

Ill go to bat for Prometheus. Its really good. Its biggest flaw is the horror trope of every character doing really dumb things.

3 Likes

I can still see the angel guy in my mind when I think about it

1 Like

A crying shame. And instead of their version of Silence of the Lambs in season 4, we got a complete reboot with the one-season series Clarice, where due to complicated rights issues, the series couldn’t feature or make reference to Hannibal Lecter.

I need to revisit Prometheus.

I agree about BR2049. Denis Villeneuve is a hell of a director blessing BR and Dune fans with masterpieces. I’m so curious what he will do for his next non franchise movie.