Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Thats certainly a take

Itā€™s such bullshit that ā€œthereā€™s no crying in baseballā€ somehow became the iconic line of this movie when in any sane universe this was the signature moment.

Iā€™ve seen this movie a few times and always enjoy Hankā€™s performance - wouldnā€™t consider it uneven at all. The movie is definitely of its time and leans heavily on tropes of the era. Itā€™s also overly sentimental but still, itā€™s a good watch.

Isnā€™t this the beginning of peak Hanks? He launched with Big in 1988 but had some real duds in the following years (Punchline, The Burbs, Bonfire). League of Their Own reset his career and was followed immediately by some of his most famous movies. In the next 3 years he stars in Sleepless in Seattle, Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13 and Toy Story. Thatā€™s quite a run.

4 Likes

Hanks is basically Tim Robinson in the ā€œno crying in baseballā€ scene

Iā€™m not a film person at all so Iā€™m sure itā€™s easy to come up with other crazy five (or six) movie, three year, runs, but thatā€™s a very impressive one to me.

1 Like

He is awesome in Big Sick which is a truly great movie that doesnā€™t get mentioned enough.

3 Likes

Hanks is so good. Not invincible, but I agree thatā€™s a great run.

Kurt Russel has had an impressive run. Been steady making movies since 1963 and as far as I can see, heā€™s never really been in anything ā€œbad,ā€ even if his performance is what saves the movie.

Iā€™m 36 years old and I can still hear my mom say ā€œKurt Russelā€ in her overly Swedish-ified accent, talking about movies she loved because of this one guy, when I was very young. I have a soft spot for him in my heart, not because Iā€™ve seen many movies of his, but because I can still hear my mom say ā€œkurt russelā€ in this super-fake accent.

3 Likes

Lol why was she saying it in an exaggerated swedish accent??

Well, I mean, not on purpose, but the name ā€œKurtā€ sounds different if you assume itā€™s a Swedish name. So she said his first name in the way she would call a Swedish person called Kurt, which is completely different from the English version.

Then Russel isnā€™t really a Swedish word/name at all, so she just kept on pronouncing it in this overly Swedish style (remember, this is the early or mid 80s, and almost any foreign word would come with a ā€œnaturalā€ pronounciation that wasnā€™t necessarily anything like the original.)

All of this that Iā€™ve tried to explain would be 1000% more obvious with a short 3 second audio upload :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Nice Iā€™ll do my best to imagine while we wait for the hero we need

1 Like

The burbs is my favorite movie of all time you son of a bitch

3 Likes

And follows that up with Saving Private Ryan, Youā€™re Got Mail, Toy Story 2, The Green Mile and Cast Away.

Most actors would kill for a 3 year run like that and itā€™s obviously inferior to his earlier 3 year run.

2 Likes

Tom Hanks is an incredible comedic actor and Iā€™m annoyed we didnā€™t get more of that in his prime years. I am absolutely serious about The Burbs being my favorite movie ever (Joe Dante ftw) and he also did Bachelor Party, The Money Pit, and The Man with One Red Shoe, along with Splash and Big. Dude was crushing in the 80s.

The Man With One Red Shoe deserves more pop. Feels ahead of itā€™s time. Has a great soundtrack and Dabney Coleman absolutely slays. Check it out if youā€™ve never seen it.

Couple movies I watched in the last few days:

-The King(Netflix): Timothy Chalamet plays Henry V and I thought it was a great period piece. Plenty of movies and TV time have gone to England v. Scotland but not a lot has gone to their wars with France. Iā€™m surprised I have never heard of it. 8/10.

-Oppenheimer: I finally went and saw it. First off why the fuck was it so important to watch this in 70mm IMAX? There was what one scene that it even mattered what it was shot in in 3 hours? Half the movie is about the red scare in a few different small rooms shot in black and white. Oppenheimer himself is fairly superficially covered imo. An entire movie about nuclear weapons and only a single one minute scene with them actually in it. Maybe this movie was overhyped for me but my god was this movie boring. Absolutely no twists and turns. No intrigue. Nothing you couldnā€™t have gotten from the wikipedia page. It was well acted I guess but this is up there with the biggest disappointments going to the movie theatre ever for me. Itā€™s still a good film so I guess 5/10.

2 Likes

You can see the difference in the quality of shot with imax vs normal. A lot of examples available on Twitter.

Up to you if thatā€™s worth it.

Think you missed a ton of what the movie portrayed tbh. It wasnā€™t about the bomb, and shows that he finds out theyā€™re dropped with the rest of the country. Itā€™s about his cowardice and banality.

1 Like

You got me.

Maybe just the story of Asteroid City would have been interesting.

But instead it is somehow about the writing of the play of Asteroid City. It just doesnā€™t work.

1 Like

Aporia (2023)

7/10

A time travel movie that knows what it is and doesnā€™t try to step out of bounds. Iā€™d put this in the kind of film that doesnā€™t get made too much because theater releases have to swing for the fences. Itā€™s a movie thatā€™s merely good, knows it merely good, so it leans into the strengths, which is the drama as opposed to trying to reinvent the time travel wheel. Judy Greer does good, someone needs to tell Edi Gathegi to shave the non existant patchy sideburns, and Payman Maadi, who I have never seen before, puts in a good preformance.

1 Like

I was really struggling to understand the appeal of Chalamet.

Then I saw this trailer and :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Oppenheimer :100: seems like a made-for-sofa flick to me

1 Like