Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Loved In Bruges. The “you heet the Canadian?” sequence had me laughing so hard that I had to pause the movie until I recovered.

I need to get to The Banshees of Inisherin soon.

2 Likes

I liked it a little better than Everything Everywhere personally

Its wonderful. If you liked In Bruges I can guarantee a thumbs up

Also Condon probably should have won the Oscar over Curtis

Or Condon :+1:

It’s true. All of it.

It’s been too long for me to remember many details about either one. I think both of those were enjoyable, good movies, but not sure if either one is best picture worthy.

Hoooollllllly shit

After Hereditary, Midsommar, and Beau is Afraid, Ari Aster has produced a horror movie starring the Golden God set for release November 10.

In Dream Scenario, a hapless family man Paul Matthews (Cage) finds his life turned upside down when millions of strangers suddenly start seeing him in their dreams. But when his nighttime appearances take a nightmarish turn, Paul is forced to navigate his newfound stardom.

I think this golden era of Cage movies is a stunning evolution in his career. There was really no reason to think he would ever be in a movie with a good script ever again, and now it’s back to Cage delivering one banger after another.

2 Likes

Either or really. I understand this was a lifetime acheivement Oscar for Curtis, but Hsu was better in the same movie, and Condon is brilliant in Banshees.

I absolutely could have invisioned a year where Banshees swept instead of EEAAO.

1 Like

Now there’s a thought experiment. What happens in that year’s Oscars if EEAAO doesn’t exist?

Especially in the Best Supporting Actress category.

I don’t think Wakanda Forever was a better movie, but christ almighty do I believe Angela Bassett’s performance easily deserved an Oscar.

I didn’t see The Whale so can’t comment on Hong Chau’s performance.

I finally got Banshees when I watched it again. Now I gotta watch it again as a fan.

I’ll be damned looking at Condon’s filmography and realizing that was her in Better Call Saul.

1 Like

I absolutely love how thick her natural accent is. It almost sounds parodical.

1 Like

On the Aronofsky darkness scale, The Whale was much closer to being a Black Swan than it was to being a Requiem for a Dream. Which still means it was quite dark, of course.

People talked up how absolutely crushing that movie was to an extent that I couldn’t help but expect a decent bit worse. Movie is decent, Hong Chau was great and Brendan Fraser was unbelievable; an extremely Oscar-worthy performance on his part. It took me a very long time (and eventually a trip to IMDb to just cheat and get the answer) to find out that the actress playing Fraser’s daughter was the lead in the 10-minute Taylor Swift All Too Well video.

2 Likes

Can someone explain Asteroid City to me like I’m five? I typically enjoy Wes Anderson films but that just seemed like two hours of him smelling his own farts and then describing the scents in the form of a screenplay.

You just described how I feel about every WA movie. Although I did enjoy the Grand Budapest Hotel. Tried to watch Rushmore, couldn’t do it. Haven’t tried Royal Tannenbaums but it really doesn’t look appealing to me.

1 Like

See I loved all of those. His films are always a little on the “artsy” side I will readily concede, but this thing takes it to a whole new level.

So a Wes Anderson Wes Anderson movie?

1 Like

I forget which thread in which we were group chatting about Jackie Brown and Get Shorty, but I am rewatching the Get Shorty tv show and this seems like something you’d love.

The lead character in particular, who was played by John Travolta in the movie but is reinvented in the show by Irish actor Chris O’Dowd.

Check out the rest of that cast!!

Get Shorty is probably my favorite TV show about the industry. Get Shorty the movie is probably my favorite movie about the industry.

They’re radically different than each other but it’s a great watch and I wish it hadn’t ended when it did. It somehow made Ray Romano tolerable even though his character is someone you shouldn’t like at all.

Ray Romano is an under-the-radar good actor. Also, he’s 65 already?

2 Likes

A League of Their Own is very much a movie of its time. Tom Hanks putting in an uneven performance at best.