Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I fully enjoyed Oliver!. But yeah Oliver! over 2001 is inexplicable. I’ve also got Kramer vs Kramer over Apocalypse Now up there as well.

1 Like

That’s a leak

5 Likes

This is one of those that, for me, falls right into that “Good Flick Totally Worth Seeing That I Have No Desire To Watch Again” category.

I loathed “The Artist”

1 Like

Big time

Dr. Strangelove?

2001???

umwhat

It is a masterpiece of cinematography, second only to 2001 of Kubrick’s works in that category imo. Shot in 100% natural light, every frame.

2 Likes

I think it took like 70 takes for the duel scene in the second half.

An amazingly shot film

I’m going to watch it soon, my wife be damned.

1 Like

Barry Lyndon is my favorite Kubrick. I also find it even funnier than Dr Strangelove, the opening lol dual really set the tone for me right away. Seems like BL has been gaining in admiration from his oeuvre recently. I hear more and more people talk about it.

1 Like

Just watched Werewolves Within with Sam Richardson and Milana Vayntrub. Pretty decent with a couple chuckles thrown in.

Glenn Fleshler is quite the chameleon!

Were Shakespeare in love and the English patient good movies?

1 Like

I really kind of think that Seinfeld is the reason I still haven’t gotten to The English Patient.

3 Likes

America doesn’t like black women.

Yes tho not sure if better than Saving Private Ryan.

Never seen The English Patient. Like LKJ, Seinfeld ensured it never had a chance LMAO

1 Like

In honor of an article I read in The Hollywood Reporter about 25 years ago, I’d like to do an updated poll to see what the people of UP think of the same question. I’ll do this as two polls to separate compulsory listening situations (calibrated movie theaters) from voluntary listening situations (possibly calibrated in home theater setups but uncalibrated elsewhere).

THEATRICAL MOVIES: In general, while watching theatrical movies, if you had an overall volume knob you can control, would you:
  • turn the overall volume up while watching the movie?
  • turn the overall volume down while watching the movie?
  • turn the overall volume up and down throughout the movie?

0 voters

DEVICES AND HOME SET UPS: When watching any movie or television show in your preferred consumer level listening environment, if you had an overall volume knob you can control that starts at your typically preferred volume, would you:
  • turn the overall volume up, while watching the content?
  • turn the overall volume down, while watching the content?
  • turn the overall volume up and down throughout the content?

0 voters

The baseline volume of my streaming contact seems more dependent on the channel or specific streaming service than the content itself.

I run subtitles on everything and still turn volume up and down constantly because those idiots seem to have permafucked the dialog vs. effects vs. music volume levels

4 Likes

It can also be determined by whether you select PCM audio or the standard 5.1 stream (converted to 2.0 if not using 5.1 surround). Netflix is notorious for having the 2.0 stream as the default, which is incredibly annoying as it doesn’t hold once you switch it to PCM. If you change it to PCM stereo if you’re not listening in surround, it makes the mix sound competent and present as a stereo mix with more level. It’s a much more pleasing watch on Netflix for everything I’ve watched if you’re only listening in stereo.

The idea of the question is once you’ve set your main volume preference (per channel or streamer), do you tend to like to turn up the overall volume after setting it once on various content you might watch, turn it down, or turn it up and down throughout?

EDITED to respond to the below:

It sounds like you don’t like the way mixers mix these days. Nearly every TV channel and streamer has basic audio levels that need to be adhered to that are completely ignored by every major movie. There are numerous settings that can screw you up inside what you’re listening on, so you may want to check some of those. Making sure to turn off DRC is a big one. It may exacerbate your problem, but that’s the main setting you should always turn off in any Blu-ray player, TV etc., as well as anything like 3D sound. Those are all b.s., aren’t what the mixers intended, and radically change the sound of the original mix.

1 Like

I’ll give this stuff a try I guess. My old lady also has a surround sound system that I’ve can’t be arsed to set up that I’m sure would help. All I know right now is that every single gd show invariably has dialogue I can barely hear and music & sound that blow me out of my chair.

On a surround sound setup, increase the volume on the center channel if you want louder dialogue.

1 Like

TV shows shouldn’t have this problem as much as movies, so something seems to be going technically wrong in your set up. TV shows are mixed to a standard that movies aren’t. If the mixer is decent, there’s still a lot of dynamic range that can be put into a mix while having it have more of a consistent level that doesn’t require a lot of sound adjustment during the program. You have to really want to push something to go for the kind of annoying that happens in a lot of movies.

Sound is exponential, so if you raise something 6dB it’s twice as loud as it previously was. Under this standard of old TV levels (limited at -10dB), you’re basically given anywhere from 12-16dB of range to play with in the new standard (if there’s still a requirement for -10dB limiting). If you have an explosion 12dB louder than dialog, it will sound extremely loud and realistic, but technically in an unlimited range, you can go up to 18dB louder ‘legally’ than dialog if the dialog is mixed well, and about 24dB if you wanted to have the dialog softer overall to have more room for a giant explosion, even though that’s not very common.

24dB is louder to the extreme and it becomes much harder for your ears to adjust back down to the dialog level once you’ve heard something that loud. Part of what movies with a lot of dynamic range depend on is our ears to adjust to the annoyance of low dialog levels (our ears are natural compressors). You strain for about 15-20 minutes to hear it but then your ears automatically adjust to it once they’re used to it. This allows filmmakers to go for extremely dynamic mixes with dramatic impact, though this type of impact can almost always be gotten without the need for such excessive parlor tricks.

I saw Oppenheimer in an IMAX last night and it wasn’t a pleasant experience. The movie was so loud I would have loved to see what kind of audio levels it had. It didn’t feel like a particularly dynamic mix but it was extremely loud. Extremely loud…

1 Like