Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I missed that. I still can’t imagine that would do significant damage to my opinion of the movie, but it does seem like an odd choice.

Holy crap I remember watching the original installment of this in 1989. Haven’t thought about it for over 30 years. Really worth a watch, but sad as hell. I remember thinking in 1989 that the woman was the only one who was going to make it out, because she had a kid to live for.

2 Likes

Heh English Patient is the most recent Best Picture winner I have yet to see as well. Also expect to agree with Elaine

This randomly popped up on YouTube for me. Cool to see the actor break down one of the best scenes of all time involving a minor character:

1 Like

Saw this one too and agree. It is somewhat sobering to see those lives in full scope from beginning to end.

For a slightly similar viewing but not as much focus on drugs and crime, you may also enjoy the Up series from director Michael Apted. It’s a seven-part, generation-spanning documentary following the lives of 14 British children from 1964 to 2011

2 Likes

According to Deadline, Heat 2 will begin “one day after the events of the film, with a wounded Chris Shiherlis (Kilmer) desperate to escape L.A. The story moves to both the six years preceding the heist and the years immediately following it, featuring new characters and new worlds of high-end professional crime, with highly cinematic action sequences.” In addition to Chris, the characters of Hanna, McCauley, Charlene (Judd), Nate (Voight), Trejo (Trejo), and Kelso (Tom Noonan) will be major factors in the story.

No casting announcements have been made, though Adam Driver’s name has been floated for the younger version of McCauley.

What a time to be alive. The book is worth a read if you’re impatient :popcorn:

I feel like Mann hasn’t brought his A game since Collateral. Maybe the Ferrari movie will be good.

1 Like

Up is incredible. In case you didn’t know there was a 2019 edition

2 Likes

Are we on 56 now?

1 Like

63 was the latest

1 Like

I liked Miami Vice and Public Enemies, might be in the minority there though.

Also he’s so old now, i don’t have high hopes for Heat 2 but I’ll watch it.

1 Like

My fingers are crossed that Ferrari is a return to form. Black Hat was an unfortunate rotting feather in his cap. Really hoping for greatness here. Maybe he could go the Ridley Scott route and let an auteur helm the Heat sequel.

1 Like

1 Like

So Carepnter’s lone takeaway is that Robbie is great and has a vagina?

I get it isn’t his genre, but you would think a pretty great director could recognize at least some of the work Gerwig puts into her craft.

Not to say I thought it was genius. Its solidly last place for me compared to the other two movies, but there is a lot of good shit in there.

1 Like

I don’t actually have much of a clue what “I missed that whole thing” means about the patriarchy messaging. Surely that can’t mean that it escaped his notice or that it was over his head; it bordered on McKay-level unsubtle at times.

If watching horror movies in October is your thing, Peacock has a surprisingly solid collection. So far this week I’ve cranked out Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Malevolence, The Endless, Winnie The Pooh, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

1 Like

This one still sticks with me.

If you haven’t seen it yet, The Endless is considered a partial sequel to their earlier movie Resolution (free on Tubi and FreeVee).

A man imprisons his estranged junkie friend in an isolated cabin in the boonies of San Diego to force him through a week of sobriety.

1 Like

I also liked Spring. I haven’t seen their most recent film yet. Also have The Void queued up and V/H/S 2 for this week.

The Void is absolutely wild. Won’t spoil anything. Recommend.

V/H/S 2 is elite simply for the segment “Safe Haven”. Holy shit the first time I saw that I was frozen. I go back to that one every couple years.

1 Like

100% agree about VHS 2!!!

I was wondering if I should check out The Void. It has quite a reputation lol. I’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

Pet Semetary: Bloodlines is getting hammered in reviews, but I thought this was easily equal to or better than any other Pet Semetary movie, and the expansion of the world building has me a little excited for future movies in the same world.

Co starring David Duchovny so it begins with three stars by default :grin:

1 Like