Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I love screeds and am looking forward to it

1 Like

If youve never seen They Live, remedy that. Its my third favorite Carpenter movie behind The Thing and the original Halloween.

LKJ, They Live would make an awesome double feature with Dawn of the Dead since the dangers of capitalism are so prevalent to both

2 Likes

Iā€™ve, uhh, not seen The Thing or Halloween.

Thankfully The Thing is available to stream and Iā€™m awaiting a library copy of Halloween. These things will be fixed soon.

I definitely am willing to watch Dawn of the Dead as soon as the availability problem goes away. (Probably not going to go the underground route though.)

Oh holy shit, youve missed the works of one of the all time great directors. All three are masterpieces in my eyes

If The Thing is available to stream, watchit when you get a chance, its on that very short list of movies I can both watch endlessly and I consider to be nearly perfect.

Carpenter has a few others that are very good movies that can be hit or miss depending on what you like. Christine is a love letter to rock and roll, teenagehood and cars; and Escape From New York has an all time iconic lead character and is a lot of fun.

1 Like

Since you were curious what movies I consider good, that short list I mentioned above of near perfect movies includes The Thing, 12 Angry Men, and Hot Fuzz

Recent action/comic movies I have seen that were worse than The Flash:

Fast X
The most recent fantastic four movie
The non James Gunn Suicide squad
Batman v Superman
Justice League
Shazam 2
WW 1984

Low bar, but yeah. Maybe a few others im forgetting.

I have seen 0 of these

I was more thinking that if The Flash is near your bottom that all you do is watch good movies

Do we need to take a collection to get you a week of free time or something? These are some of the GOATs without hyperbole.

Only one I will disagree over. It was nowhere near the high of Shazam 1, but it was still a fun squeeze.

The Flash entertained me a lot on first watch, but the character problems alone make it impossible to love and hard to like. After that one fun intro in Justice League (ā€œI needā€¦friendsā€), I havenā€™t enjoyed Ezraā€™s version of Barry.

I have also not seen The Sound of Music, as long as Iā€™m randomly confessing to classic movies that have escaped me so far.

1 Like

Its close. Made the list and didnt have it there originally, but its just more boring.

The Trask fantastic four film is the worst of that bunch imo.

1 Like

Sometime in the Part 1 version of this thread, I asked people what were the 10 highest rated movies in the IMDB top 250 that they havenā€™t seen. Curious what yours are.

Updated for me:
10) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
17) Goodfellas
18) One Flew Over the Cuckooā€™s Nest
20) Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
21) Itā€™s a Wonderful Life
23) Interstellar
26) City of God
27) Life Is Beautiful
31) Back to the Future
33) The Pianist

1 Like

Ya The Thing is great. Watch that immediately.

2 Likes

Looked this list up to see and Se7en is 19th? (Also Oppenheimer at 44th is insane)

22)Seven Samurai is first for me.

ETA-Think I will rewatch Se7en tonight because I havenā€™t seen it since it came out and I remember it being good but not that good.

1 Like

Ah, Iā€™ve seen all of your 10 and I especially love The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but Goodfellas is also elite, as is Itā€™s a Wonderful Life. Also love Interstellar and City of God. Back to the Future and Across the Spiderverse fall into ā€œreally good, but I seem to like them less than others.ā€

Anyway, my 10 are:
22. Seven Samurai (honestly I think I did watch all of this, but I had a roommate who was not paying attention but kept telling me how bad it was, and it killed the experience, I owe it a watch without a ridiculous heckler)
46. Harakiri
49. Modern Times
50. Cinema Paradiso
65. The Great Dictator
73. Oldboy
77. Das Boot
81. Princess Mononoke
83. Once Upon a Time in America
84. Your Name.

Thereā€™s a clear throughline here where I havenā€™t done as much work as I should to watch as many of the foreign-language classics.

(No idea why it renumbered your list that I quoted; I just used the quote function as normal.)

2 Likes

ā€œGood but not that goodā€ is reasonable I think, though I absolutely love the final act. I was pretty meh on it before that point.

1 Like

What bet did you lose to force you to watch these? :grin:

Itā€™s amazing that the unreleased Fantastic Four film is actually the best of them all lol.

Can we all agree though that this scene from F42 is so cool it could have been released as the teaser for the MCU F4?

Was curious to check on my list

44.Oppenheimer
83. Once Upon a Time in America
85. 3 Idiots
86. High and Low
88. Capernaum
91. Come and See
95. The Hunt
109. Incendies
115. A Separation
119. Like Stars on Earth

I keep meaning to check out Oppenheimer.