Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Interesting exercise. Personally couldn’t get into The Conversation that much, which weakens Coppola’s case for me. I also thought Apocalypse Now was excellent, but haven’t ever really felt too much of a draw to rewatch it, which on some level hurts his score for me. Even making the two greatest works of art in the history of humanity doesn’t really nail this down for me.

The Kubrick foursome is really strong. The Scorsese sets actually include missing resume gaps for me, though based on what I’ve seen he’s surely in strong contention. Same deal for James Cameron since I haven’t seen The Abyss. Some of the groups listed are whatever.

1 Like

Pretty good stuff

4 Likes

https://x.com/thehorrormaster/status/1839361415817376220

3 Likes

Great call. Villeneuve has had a fantastic run for his entire career.

1 Like

Article says it is only considering post Coppola so is ignoring Hitchcock with Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho and The Birds. Also Kubrick with Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, and Barry Lyndon. If you wanted to replace Strangelove with The Shining I wouldn’t argue.

1 Like

I swear that Sean Fennessey and Chris Ryan are the only people who work for The Ringer and also watch movies made before The Godfather.

That Hitchcock run is awesome, obviously. Personally prefer the Kubrick foursome they went with in the article.

1 Like

I’m shocked that the Coen brothers weren’t even mentioned.

Surely No Country For Old Men, Burn After Reading, A Serious Man, True Grit is better than half the runs listed in that article.

2 Likes

The Abyss is one you should see. I’m anti-Cameron a lot but not on that one.

2 Likes

You just gonna skip Sicario?

1 Like

I’ve had it in my mental rolodex for October viewing. I’ll see that one soon.

2 Likes

For a four-movie run, it’s either lop off Sicario or Dune 2 since Sicario would be at the beginning.

1 Like

Edgar wright anit half bad

Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim, World’s End (though if you could put Baby Driver over World’s End its even stronger)

1 Like

Megalopolis (2024)

jTGQtlX.mp4 [video-to-gif output image]

1.5/5

1 Like

Disappointing but not unexpected.

I’m almost surprised it was that good.

I mean it’s a difficult thing to rate, honestly. It was a mess and I admit to having gotten lost frequently. Perhaps a smarter movie-watcher than me could better get what he was going for and get something out of it (it’s clear that some savvy watchers actually have really liked it). Coppola might be getting some benefit of the doubt from me to land above one star, but it’s also very rare I go that low. The bottom line is that the experience sucked and I really wanted it to end.

1 Like

This is hilarious

2 Likes

https://x.com/brianchaley/status/1816719761981735222

1 Like

Re: Megalopolis

We’re all going to need an update from you when you get to it.

Some of the reviews are straight up insane. “This movie felt like having my eyeballs rubbed with sandpaper covered in alcohol and I was so confused I’m pretty sure I now have early onset dementia. 4.5/5”

1 Like