Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Agree. I am utterly baffled by the concept of so bad it’s good. I feel like an alien viewing a foreign species when people talk about loving terrible movies like the Room.

1 Like

I think it varies a bit from person to person, where people who don’t want to call well-executed low-brow movies “good,” so I think some people will kind of apologetically label low-brow stuff like Commando as “so bad it’s good,” and I just can’t see it that way.

If a movie entertained me on purpose, it is some degree of good IMO. Movies of all genres and all levels of sophistication are eligible to be considered good or great or excellent in my book.

But as far as people who are just laughing at how bad something is and aren’t actually enjoying the movie in at all the way the filmmaker intended it to be enjoyed? That’s some weird shit. I can’t think of a single example of that from my experience.

2 Likes

Ya I get zero enjoyment from bad art. Don’t get it at all.

1 Like

Does the Minnesota crowd chanting “Boo-tista” count?

2 Likes

I mean, no. I wasn’t enjoying the match, I was enjoying Vince McMahon’s best-laid plans being crapped on.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s fair.

BTW, the Netflix Vince McMahon docuseries is out tomorrow.

2 Likes

I hope I get the chance to pick a Halloween movie :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

FWIW I can’t understand NOT enjoying something like The Room. Or Birdemic. I’m not necessarily even laughing at the filmmaker, I’m marveling at the spectacle of it all. It is a beautiful thing to behold the choices that can come from other peoples’ minds.

1 Like

The “people can show up or not” provision is increasing in value.

2 Likes

Freeheld

Diagnosed with terminal cancer, decorated New Jersey detective Laurel Hester (Julianne Moore) wishes to leave her pension benefits to domestic partner Stacie Andree (Elliot Page). Denied by local county officials, Laurel receives help from hard-nosed colleague Dane Wells (Michael Shannon) and activist Steven Goldstein (Steve Carell), who unite to rally fellow police officers and ordinary citizens to support the couple’s fight for equality.

Based on a short documentary and is thus a true story. Somewhat predictable even if you’re not familiar with the history, but I found this moving, especially the final vote scene on whether to give the couple pension benefits.

The cast is stacked!!! But I mostly watched it for Elliot Page. I like to watch movies with him and imagine him playing a trans man in each role, eg Juno, Hard Candy, or in this case Freeheld. He’s quite good alongside Moore as a queer couple just asking for the same rights and privileges as everyone else.

Agreed on this.

1 Like

I’ve watched a little of it already.

Even on Netflix, even in this setting, people on the screen say “World Wrestling Federation” and the subtitle says “World Wrestling Entertainment.” It’s wild to me just how much of a lockdown they have on that nonsense.

1 Like

Any reviews so far? I have no interest in watching a Vince puff puece and I know a lot of this was filmed prior to the most heinous of accusations becoming public.

I’m in wait-and-see mode. They open the whole series talking about his fall from grace, but then they zoom back and start the chronology of his early stuff, things like the original purchase of the company, etc. That’s a lot of the first episode. It’s probably necessary foundation to lay for the average viewer no matter what the overall tone ends up being. It’s well-produced, though the only thing I really learned from it was that Gorilla Monsoon was probably going to be the one to buy the company from Vince Sr. before Vince Jr. made his play.

This is from early in episode 2:
https://x.com/EliteClubS0B/status/1838863334017220729

That’s as far as I’ve gotten. However, I’m a bit hopeful because Vince himself seems to be unhappy with what he knows about it.

https://x.com/WrestleOps/status/1838565779874124051

1 Like

I’ll redirect further chatter to the wrestling thread, but yeah episode 2 goes at Vince pretty hard. I think “puff piece” is out. I would have to imagine that it still won’t fully do him justice, but it might be a start in that direction.

1 Like

Siskel and Ebert catty outtake. These guys were the best.

(TikTok - Make Your Day)

5 Likes

Roger won that exchange.

this singular clip may have inspired On Cinema At The Cinema

2 Likes

The Fifth Element

It’s the end of the world as we know it! Every five thousand years, a big blob of darkness emerges in space to kill everyone and everything. This time the only ones who can save the world are a clumsy priest, a fired taxi driver (who was also a former special ops officer), and a redheaded girl the movie makes sure to remind us is not just the fifth element but is a perfect supreme being.

This very goofy movie is great goofy fun. It’s very, very, very French. A critic for Slate said: “It may or may not be the worst movie ever made, but it is one of the most unhinged.”

Bruce Willis was in his prime, delivering lots of humor in his standard deadpan vs some surprisingly soft touches when given the chance to love again (and kiss her without permission; Senno ecto gammat!).

And my god is Chris Tucker on fire as Ruby Rhod, the most glamorous radio jockey in five galaxies.

The action is intense, the romance is compelling even if thin, the story is epic, the movie is super green. I’ve seen this dozens of times and it never gets old. It’s free on Tubi.

3 Likes

Everyone in that movie brings it. It has the energy of a huge dick-swinging sci-fi blockbuster but it’s this silly weird movie, it’s great.

2 Likes

10 Likes