Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I feel the same about Contact.

Ban!

:wink:

3 Likes

interstellar and contact are both great

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never seen Contact. Given this convo I was going to try to watch it tonight, but alas, itā€™s nowhere on streaming.

1 Like

The dialog was mixed so low in the movie to bring you the highly impactful arrival of a Jeep parking in a totally standard way as loudly as possible

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen Contact in forever and basically agree, but I think Interstellar was sillier. I really struggled with the whole premise of Interstellar from the get-go. Just a few minutes in I was already like ā€œthis is ludicrousā€.

Related: Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve become a bad movie watcher/enjoyer. Just way too critical and unwilling to suspend disbelief.

1 Like

Interstellar library certified sillier.

Contact may have been because the whole concept and the complex machine seemed to be more about some kind of physical transport vs consciousness. Spoilerish (I get that expectation was intentional and that making Jodie take it on faith and have no way to prove what she experienced to the world so she was asking everyone to take her on faith. . I just couldnā€™t take that leap. Aside from Tinkerbell, the gotta believe back door gotta believe trope doesnā€™t work for me.

Contact is weird because itā€™s kind of mediocre but it does have one of the greatest trick shots in movie history. How the hell did they pull this off?

2 Likes

For a glimpse into the era before it became silly.

2 Likes

They are re releasing it in theatres next month for the 10th anniversary, should have waited.
John Wick and Whiplash are back rn

1 Like

Any interest in scaretacular horror movie watch parties leading up to Halloween? Maybe rng everyone and each person picks a film. Could do it on certain nights or continually, and people can show up or not. We can provide the mst3k treatment in thread.

4 Likes

Yes.

5 Likes

Real ones know:

https://x.com/RealGDT/status/1838220944218714239

1 Like

+1

Yeah

Re: Megalopolis

Happily, I think Iā€™ve gaslit myself into looking forward to seeing this. Thursday evening ticket booked. Despite the fact that its early score distribution on Letterboxd is absolutely ridiculous.

6 Likes

I just read that Aubrey Plaza plays a character named Wow Platinumā€¦

Im not entirely sure what to do with that information

1 Like

Iā€™m going to try to see it this weekend, looking forward to it just to see it, not expecting much

My Old Ass (2024)

Man. The emotional intelligence of this movie is off the charts. They hook me in with the promise of a significant Aubrey Plaza role, it turns out to be a way smaller (albeit still pivotal and extremely effective) part than I had any awareness of, and it didnā€™t matter because Maisy Stella put the movie on her back and absolutely delivered all of what was needed out of the lead.

Iā€™d like to think and hope that this movie could land with adults of all ages, but it feels especially laser-targeted to land with middle-aged people like me. It doesnā€™t spend its whole runtime persistently tugging on the heartstrings, but it pulls out a few absolute haymakers that feel well-earned instead of like a cheap manipulation.

Itā€™s a tight 90 minutes, it confines itself to a small scope, and it uses all of it very economically, squeezing at or near max value out of every minute. Except for a random couple of minutes about Justin Bieber; I donā€™t really know what that was about. Whatever. Honestly, the rest of the movie is so good that Iā€™m expecting even that scene to make more sense to me when I run this back. This immediately lands as one of my favorites of the year.

4/5

4 Likes