Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I Saw the TV Glow was pretty good!

2 Likes

All in one movie

The best cinematography in years
The least subtle messaging ever
Amazing set design
Over the top gore that makes GWAR seem serious
Funniest scene of the year
Scenes that made me physically wretch
Some amazingly sexy photography of the female body
The grossest eating scene ever caught on film
Truly gutsy acting
A total and complete lack of subtext
An homage to Vertigo
A vomitous finale that loses the plot.

Real grade: a schizophrenic A and C-

2 Likes

Yeah, I was gonna say, Margaret Qualley does a bunch of nudity in this movie and the verdict is still absolutely “this movie is awful to look at.”

I’m curious what scene you’re talking about here; I don’t think I actually laughed during this movie. I’m not sure I have a super clear funniest scene of the year, but a couple of scenes from Kinds of Kindness come to mind as probably my frontrunners.

When the final blob version of her is sliming its way to the star.

1 Like

Uhhhh, you probably shouldn’t watch Paprika then.

2 Likes

You Can’t Take It With You (1938)

And to think, this (still great) movie is the least of the three Frank Capra/Jimmy Stewart collaborations. Back in the day, I actually acted in a high school stage production of this story, playing Mr. Kirby (father to the Stewart character), so I did go into watching the movie remembering the basic outline of how it goes. Still, memory gets increasingly fuzzy with time, so there was plenty that I didn’t remember also.

As sheer on-screen charm goes, Stewart was the gold standard; I really can’t put anyone past or present above him. Given that, it was a pleasant surprise to see Mr. Potter himself, Lionel Barrymore, make a run at being the heart and soul of this movie despite all of Stewart’s best efforts. It distracted me at first to see the villain from It’s a Wonderful Life in an earlier role as a kindly, quirky old grandfather. However, Barrymore gets fully lost in this character and the distraction dissipates without significant issue.

It’s a simple morality tale, and not necessarily a terribly original one, but it’s very well-executed and the talented cast really nails the classic Capra tone. Only critique, really: I do question whether the ending fully stuck the landing. It felt abrupt. But if this aspect fell short of the mark, it didn’t miss by too much. A person who enjoys Capra’s other works will very likely enjoy this as well. 4/5.

1 Like

I’ll recommend Joint Security Area on Criterion if you liked Parasite. One of Park Chan-wook’s first movies, stars Song Kang-ho, also from Parasite and a bunch of other movies. It’s billed as a military suspense thriller but really it’s an emotional tragedy about this forbidden bromance between border guards across the Korean border.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I watched that in grad school. One of my roommates was Korean, and he rented it from Netflix back when they still mailed DVDs. I don’t remember much about it, but I think it was pretty crazy.

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance was amazing.

For me with a really old book or movie, the question becomes how original it was for the time. Like was this a collection of tropes people were familiar with? Or was it one that oversaturated stories after it became so successful?

I struggle to know the answer to this off-hand, but the basic story of “man who has lost his humanity to business is prevailed upon by people who still have their souls; becomes better man” feels like it had to be well-worn ground even before 1938. But maybe not? This did win Best Picture, so it’s entirely possible it was more novel than I think.

Incidentally: one part of the movie is that the Jimmy Stewart character kind of never had the ambition to rise the ranks in his father’s business because his passion idea since college was to be a leader in building up the use of solar energy as an alternative power solution. I was definitely caught off-guard by that in an 86-year-old movie.

1 Like

The Panic in Needle Park

many close-up scenes of heroin injections. young al pacino SCREAMING because he doesn’t have enough heroin. this movie has it all

3 bags of popcorn thank you the internet archive

1 Like