Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

One of the only movies I ever remember having an intermission, that I intended was The Right Stuff.

We need intermissions back. Theatres love them too as they sell more food which is how they make most of their money.

1 Like

Point Blank (1967)

This movie drops you into it in a deliberately disorienting way and then spends what wasn’t a terribly long time but nonetheless felt like an eternity continuing to hide the ball and leave me not knowing what the hell I was watching. Some of you get movie anxiety from watching awkward social situations or intense horror scenes, but me? This is it. A movie making me feel like an idiot who might be the only one who doesn’t know WTF is going on is nightmare fuel. “A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!” -Jack Woltz, The Godfather

Thankfully, the movie eventually brings you in on what it’s doing and puts on an engaging show. Lee Marvin, an actor of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance fame and not be confused with Dr. Leo Marvin from What About Bob?, is our POV character, and he is off on a tirade to settle an old score and seek out revenge. His motive? Well, I won’t spoil it, but I will say that it made the movie feel a bit more absurd at times. Let’s just say that I have more sympathy for John Wick’s willingness to burn it all down on behalf of his deceased dog than I did for this character’s mission. Still, the mission was usually quite entertaining, and the filmmaking style here feels unique and fresh, notwithstanding my complaints about it being unduly mean to my unobservant ass during the first act.

If you like vigilante justice movies, this is a good one. It’s on Tubi. And, FYI: it seems like the average review of this movie is even more positive than mine. People seem to love this one. As for me, I’ll give it a 3.5/5.

4 Likes

Yeah, this movie whips.

On the heels of me bitching about movies being too confusing for me sometimes, I did enjoy bumping into this review today from someone I follow on Letterboxd:

5 Likes

https://x.com/seanfennessey/status/1833954674283872719?s=46&t=uO-xNqSr7HbVAm1QJRtawg

1 Like

People call each other bro in real life?

1 Like

Young people do. My teenagers say it a lot, but it’s not really calling someone “bro,” it’s more just an emphasis word or a substitution for “hey,” like in that above tweet.

Adrien Brody is awesome. Very pumped for The Brutalist.

“Nothing has been scrapped,” Miller tweeted in response. “The reels are coming along nicely.” His comment came hours after “Spider-Verse” composer Daniel Pemberton similarly hit back at the report, writing on X, “Don’t really ever want to weigh in on this sort of stuff BUT would you ever believe there could sometimes be stuff on the internet that might not always be particularly accurate? Hmmmm…”

1 Like

I use brother a fair amount with my very close friends. It’s something that stuck with me from being a kid in the 70s. My father was a major labour activist and that’s how they referred to their union comrades - Brother Mick, Sister Ruth, etc…
I certainly don’t use it in the “bruh” manner and I don’t use it with many people, but my very close friends are often referred to as brother (not bro or bruh)

1 Like

The Fall Guy: The Extended Cut is on peacock and i gave it a watch because i liked emily blunt in that wild west revenge series and i liked ryan gosling in the last couple movies i’ve seen him in.

idk what they cut from this for the theater version, but for me the first hour was too romantic comedy, when i was looking for an action comedy. then it transitioned into an action comedy and it still wasn’t great. light on the comedy, for me. 1 maybe 2 good stunt sequences.

i liked the parts where it’s so outrageously stupid that it becomes a farce, that brought the enjoyment, but there’s just not enough. they should have made those parts the whole movie imo. but then the movie would only be like 35 minutes long. i shoulda just rewatched The Nice Guys, that’s what i really wanted

2 Likes

The Fall Guy having an extended cut is completely absurd to me because the theatrical cut was already 20 minutes too long. I would have liked it a decent bit if it was tighter, but it ended up feeling bloated and exhausting. Fair to say I’m not intending to ever fire up the even longer version.

2 Likes

If you liked the farcical stunt work, check out Bullet Train. Its from the same director, but has none of the romantic comedy BS and a lot more of the fun action set pieces

2 Likes

i liked the action of bullet train but i can’t say that i liked the movie. idk why, i love all the actors, but on some level that i can’t articulate it just doesn’t work for me

2 Likes

on further reflection, my problem with the fall guy is the core concept. it’s a love letter to stuntmen and to action movies featuring real stunt work. so they throw in tons of practical stunts, because that’s what the movie is about. and they want to honor the hollywood tradition of stunts by showing all these stunts that we’ve seen done before in other movies. and that’s what they wanted to do and that’s what they did, but i think audiences don’t like seeing stunts they’ve already seen. people enjoy stunt work the most when it’s something they’ve never seen before, that’s when it’s best. that’s why tom cruise is the greatest. and that’s why i think he turned down this movie because during the first part i was thinking, “wow tom cruise should be in this movie and be doing all his own stunts that would actually be an interesting gimmick” but like i said it’s just not good enough as a core concept to be a tom cruise level movie

3 Likes

Rebel Ridge (2024)

A movie with a poor first half that offers a satisfying conclusion will in most cases feel like it’s been salvaged to some extent, but the movie with a strong first half that can’t keep its momentum going tends to make for an unfortunate inverse.

The initial situation that ignites the plot, and the direct consequences of that situation, make for really propulsive filmmaking. And as someone with little familiarity with Aaron Pierre, it also felt like I was watching an exciting breakout performance in progress. He has a ton of presence and immediately feels credible as the lead of this thing.

Unfortunately, the movie arrives at a point where it needs to find a reason for the plot to continue, and when I wasn’t able really buy into that, it hurt my ability to stay interested. And the momentum, which had once been hurtling along at a very high rate, began to slow and never really regained what it had. The movie’s final act does provide a decent climax, but it also makes a key choice that I didn’t care for, a choice that feels unearned under the circumstances.

There is stuff to recommend about this. I do think it’s something of a breakout for Aaron Pierre, and I look forward to seeing what he does next. And the first half of the movie really does verge on greatness. But “starts strong and can’t keep it going” is one of the more frustrating experiences that still compel me to give an above-average grade.

This is a new straight-to-Netflix release. It’s getting good reviews and again I’m probably being a bit more negative than the average reviewer. I dunno; check it out if you feel like it.

3/5

2 Likes

Postcards from the Edge (1990)

Fair to say that my motivating impulse for watching, that a Meryl Streep/Shirley MacLaine collaboration would almost certainly have a high floor, at least proved true for this movie.

The mother/daughter drama that drove this story was not incredibly deep or anything, but it still felt like it gave plenty of room to Streep and MacLaine to stretch their legs and do their thing. I was pleasantly blown away by the musical numbers (in a movie that is not a musical, to be clear); I didn’t really know Streep had that in her. I suppose I could have known that from Mamma Mia, but unfortunately that movie is not…well…good. But in this one? She crushes it in this scene that seems to kind of come out of nowhere.

This movie is worth the watch just to see a couple of masters of the craft shine. It’s on Prime Video.

3.5/5

1 Like

I noticed that Carrie Fisher was the screenwriter on this, but in reading about it now, apparently this was adapted from a semi-autobiographical novel that she wrote. I went down this rabbit hole after seeing this review.

Which I guess means Streep was playing Fisher and MacLaine was playing Debbie Reynolds? For her part, this caused Debbie to say “uhh, no” to that interpretation.

“I would like to have played the role. I tried to get an audition for the part, but Mike Nichols wanted Shirley, and I thought she did a great job. It’s not about me and Carrie, but it’s a very good picture. I am not an alcoholic, and whatever else the part was. I don’t have time to get drunk. I work 42 weeks a year.”

Who knows. As much as I’m always game for Debbie Reynolds, I do think MacLaine always operated on an even higher level, so I can’t fault the casting decision.

1 Like

I … don’t follow the logic here

2 Likes