Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

The Shallows also has a bunch of nice visual ideas. There’s a lot of better movies, but few with anything as cool as the shot below

shallows light

1 Like

One does not simply criticize Willem Defoe’s cooking

1 Like

I was on D+. I don’t think I saw an option in the cc menu.

Okay Clovis, Audible offered me a free trial with one book credit. Used it on Project Hail Mary. Expecting great things.

1 Like

- Go in as blind as possible- movie list

• Memento
  • The Truman Show
  • The Prestige
  • Frailty
  • Cabin in the Woods
  • Barbarian
  • One Cut of the Dead
  • Coherence
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Parasite
  • The Sixth Sense
  • The Matrix
  • Triangle
  • From Dusk Till Dawn
  • Fight Club
  • Sorry to Bother You
  • The Game
  • Seven
  • Gone Girl
  • Predestination
  • Primer
  • Upstream Color
  • Arrival
  • Oldboy
  • Run Lola Run
  • Shutter Island
  • 12 Monkeys
  • Game Night
  • The Bourne Identity
  • Moon
  • Get Out
  • The Menu
  • Terminator 2
  • The Perfect Host
  • Dark City

What would you add?

That’s every movie for me.

3 Likes

You don’t watch trailers?

Not on purpose. If I went to a theater and some are playing before the movie, then I’ll watch those. But if I’ve decided to see a movie for some reason, I would try hard to avoid the trailer.

The decision to watch obviously involves hearing and seeing something about it but I do try to keep that to as little “as possible”.

1 Like

Psycho

maybe planet of the apes, but like, where else would they be?

1 Like

That makes sense.

I love when the word of mouth for a movie is to go in blind. Sometimes I’ll watch a movie first and then check out the trailer just to see how the studio chose to market the movie. It’s sometimes a tough call because I really like trailers themselves.

I would subtract a bunch and then tell people not to worry so much about spoilers. Every single movie that is actually a good movie would hold up at least as well on rewatch, a point at which a person is fully spoiled.

But there are certain movies on that list with the big twist endings where I would encourage against spoilers just so they can experience those fresh one time.

1 Like

These are both reasonable choices, but it feels like you’d win a scavenger hunt by finding someone who managed to see these before hearing about the stuff you’re warning them away from. Those things are just too iconic, too widely discussed. Certainly I knew the broad strokes of what I was in for with both of these.

2 Likes

That’s another weird thing about me. I almost never rewatch anything. Sometimes when I’m doing something else, I’ll have something on in the background that I’ve seen before, but I’m barely paying any attention to it.

1 Like

Coherence

Edit: nm, missed it on your list

1 Like

It’s probably not that weird because you’re far from alone in this. But it’s very foreign to my approach.

It’s obviously very understandable from a standpoint of commitment of time and attention why there’s a notable difference between the two things, but: I basically see it as a situation where I would never hear a great song and then never run it back, so as time allows, I’m going to approach movies the same way.

1 Like

Strange Darling

Holy fuck. My second favourite film of the year. So good.

Don’t google it. Don’t watch the trailer. Go in cold.

Such a great ride.

Grade A

3 Likes

Adding it to the list!

1 Like

Yeah, I usually only rewatch something if it happens to be on tv while I’m doing nothing. I never just sit down to rewatch something unless I’m showing it to someone else for the first time.

1 Like

The craziest thing is the director of photography is Giovani Ribisi and it’s one of the best looking films of the year!

1 Like

By the way: if you haven’t seen a movie outside of one time 20 years ago, I will amend this to say that it’s crazypants not to rewatch it on the basis that you’ve already seen it.

Having run a number of movies back where my one experience with them was 15+ years ago, it’s really not far from just watching a new movie. You might manage to remember some key spoilers, but as you find how unfamiliar most of the movie is, you’ll also question whether or not those spoilers are even quite true.

Literally everyone should have a statute of limitations on this “never rewatch” thing if that’s their policy. You basically haven’t watched a movie if you saw it once a long time ago. Even as someone with a more vivid and lengthy memory than most, I promise that most of the movie has fallen out of your brain.

2 Likes