Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Nothing really preventing crossover, right? Laurence Fishburne turned up in both franchises.

1 Like

Candyman was fantastic!!! Produced by Peele too if I recall.

No I just want Yahya in everything. Aquaman was an okay movie for the genre but I otherwise thought it was quite bad.

The MCU for better or worse at least has the overall context of a mostly excellent catalog to boost the value of a movie that might just be okay outside of the cinematic universe.

And then we occasionally get absolute bangers that stretch the upper limits of what that cinematic universe can deliver. Captain America: the Winter Soldier, for example, should be seen alongside other top films about espionage. The movie just so happens to feature recognizable superheroes.

But Aquaman is simply not strong enough to overcome its lack of quality on its own, and itā€™s definitely not being given any helpful assists by all but the weirdest moments in other DC movies.

What are we even supposed to think about Aquaman being a character being the master of the oceans but who is ALSO a degen alcoholic who smashes his empty bottles on the shore and leaves them for someone else to clean up? The outro scene in The Flash was funny but may as well have poured salt on the character for how little it did to endear him as more than a clown.

Maybe just me, but I get more out of this brief clip of a fake Aquaman movie from Entourage than what Iā€™ve seen from either actual Aquaman movie.

Or this discussion from The Subjects :grin:

1 Like

You make good points and Iā€™m not going to die on the hill of Aquaman being a great film lol. I literally turned to my partner as the credits rolled and said ā€œI know that was corny as hell but I liked itā€.

I was pleasantly surprised that Candyman 2021 was not just a cash grab horror remake but added a lot to the lore and told a good story. To bring it full circle it felt very similar to the Watchmen limited series in that it brought new elements to the story and exceeded my expectations greatly.

1 Like

This is how you know youā€™re not an edge lord lol

Thatā€™s a great point about Candyman. Itā€™s been long enough since I watched the new one that I should revisit it soon.

1 Like

21 Incredible Intersex Movies, Books, Singers, And More

Never really liked the first Candyman all that much tbh.

1 Like

Film yourself saying his name three times imo

https://tubitv.com/movies/567890?link-action=play&tracking=google-feed&utm_source=google-feed

A wonderful little four film horror anthology of shorts.

1 Like

4 Likes

A secret Tarantino movie from the special features on From Dusk til Dawn.

Looking forward to the film commentary with Tarantino and Rodriguez :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Iā€™m sure glad that Anthony Hopkins has the juice to keep cranking out major roles. Based on his performances in The Father and The Two Popes, he hasnā€™t lost his fastball yet by a longshot.

1 Like

WANT

I know this story. So glad they didnā€™t spoil it in the trailer. The climax should be awesome that they hint at in the last scene.

What is it about Vincent Price, he played some of the most objectively horrible abusive husband roles and yet heā€™s still charming to watch.

The Popeā€™s Exorcist is a superhero movie. Honestly, not to disrespect to anyoneā€™s religion but thereā€™s no other way to describe it. It looks like a Marvel movie, it tells a story with all of the beats of a Marvel movie. Father Gabriele Amorth is 100% a comic book hero name. I would honestly recommend this to anyone who enjoys mid-grade Marvel movies. Itā€™s stupid and fun, the soundtrack is astonishing.

1 Like

I cannot believe how long the puking sequence in Triangle of Sadness was. What the fuck, man.

Movie had some good things going for it otherwise. Adam McKay could take some notes from the non-puking parts of the movie about how you can push an overtly political message without making your movie excruciatingly annoying.

1 Like

It had potential (and was quite good for about 30-45 minutes), but I could not get over how bad that ending was. That bothered me way more than the puking scene.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve got no defense for the ending.

I guess it surprises no one that I liked the ending :no_mouth:

1 Like

I loved the ending. Made perfect sense in the context of the film.