Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Good article on the ending from the directors perspective.

I guess I’m not being clear on what I mean when I say that I hated “the ending”.

The actual final shot of the movie with Abigail holding the rock deciding whether or not to kill Yaya was pretty good.

What upset me was the 10-ish minutes leading up to it.

You’re trying to tell me that they were on a luxury resort island the entire time? What the fuck?

Did they not walk around? Did they not notice the sound and light pollution that surely would have been present? They were close enough to the resort that there was a peddler walking around trying to sell them things. So I would assume there were footpaths or something through the woods that no one bothered to follow in the several days they were on the island?

It made no goddamn sense whatsoever. Had they instead seen another cruise ship off in the distance and Abigail held the rock while Yaya was about to fire of some flairs or something, I could have accepted that. I still would have had some problems with the movie (most notably the pre-yacht stuff that was far too long), but I wouldn’t have finished it with a poor taste in my mouth.

It’s unfortunate because I’m pretty convinced (much more so than most movies I dislike) that there is an elite movie in here somewhere. This wasn’t it though.

2 Likes

I assumed this was what your specific issue was, and I agree with that complaint entirely. Basically agree with the whole post, except of course that the length of the first act was not nearly as bad as the length of the puking section.

No I hear you, I’ve just been in too many situations (okay a handful) where yeah, it’s that easy to miss things that seem so close and obvious. It didn’t bother me. The irony in fact made it feel even more authentic.

I don’t really understand critiques like this. All fiction requires suspension of disbelief. Of course they would see all that but there wouldn’t be a movie then. Especially in satire. If we are looking for unrealistic things the film is full of them.

I’ll say it didn’t bother me as much as eyebooger either, in that the credits rolled and the absurdity of that moment did not really stick with me. I think part of it…

…was that it didn’t seem real as it first unfolded. I figured Yaya was hallucinating or something. Only once Abigail took it seriously I realized I probably had to also, but that quickly transitioned into the end moment that I did like. So the utter silliness of the vehicle that got us there kind of evaporated quickly.

But honestly, that part (the moment that creates the ending, not the absolute ending) comes across like the very least considered part of the whole script, so it does come across to me as requiring more than garden-variety suspension of disbelief.

1 Like

It is a major u-turn. I liked it for that but can understand why someone would think it was poorly conceived.

I love films that make crazy sharp turns like Barbarian or Parasite.

I think all that stuff works thematically, so I’m willing to suspend disbelief

1 Like

That’s fair, it’s just tough to know when to hang a paper lantern, especially that close to credits.

Just now coming to the realization that I should perhaps not be surprised that I’m more negative on the use of gross-out scenes than the user named “eyebooger.”

2 Likes

Dumb Money:

A pretty fun, silly time capsule. I don’t think it reveals any grand truths, especially for people who lived through it, but I can see it possibly having legs in the future as people who were very young or not alive when this stuff happened watch it as a kind of wtf was 2020 like sort of way.

Also, the Winkelvoss twins are two of the executive producers, which amuses me a lot.

I saw someone do a In Memoriam for Charlbi Dean and I thought it was a joke about her character until I found out that she actually did die.

1 Like

Ya it is a pretty sad story.

A Haunting in Venice

7/10

With so many super hero movies murder mystery movies seem so different. This one was ok, but ultimately it didn’t have what Knives Out did. All the actors did a good job, especially Michelle Yeoh even though she wasn’t in the movie too much

3 Likes

This story is interesting to me because it’s maybe the first example of a Mary Sue self-insert in fiction. Although it’s kind of a reverse Mary Sue because she was poking fun at herself.

In the books, Oliver’s most famous works are those featuring her vegetarian Finnish detective Sven Hjerson. Since she knows nothing of Finland, Oliver frequently laments Hjerson’s existence. In many of her appearances, Oliver – and her feelings toward Hjerson – reflect Agatha Christie’s own frustrations as an author, particularly with the Belgian Hercule Poirot (an example of self-insertion). The self-caricature has also been used to discuss Christie’s own follies in her earlier novels. For instance, in Mrs McGinty’s Dead , Mrs Oliver talks of having made the blowpipe a foot long (30 cm) in one of her novels, whereas the actual length is something like four-and-a-half feet (1+1⁄2 yards (140 cm)) – the same mistake Christie made in Death in the Clouds .

1 Like

I didn’t know it was based on a Christie novel, now a character in the movie makes sense.

2 Likes

I saw that you and RF recommended Burning and holy smokes, what a picture. Nothing to really add here, just fantastic.

What is going on with Tubi? Normally I go there for trash cinema but lately I’ve seen some excellent movies on Tubi. Their Johnnie To selection is choice.

2 Likes

FR!!! I find myself going to Tubi and often finding established and hidden gems.

I think the studios are trying to get cash by selling more of their libraries to other services instead of keeping stuff exclusive to their own subscription services. More stuff on tubi, HBO series popping up on Netflix, etc.

1 Like

Not even remotely surprising…