Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

You should try watching sitcom captions, especially CBS.

Before YouTube got better at it, caption watching was hilarious, especially watching the David Alan Grier blues guitarist sketches.

In ‘defense’, a deaf person might not know what rope-a-dope is. That also might have a translation issue across many languages. Depending on where you watched it, it’s possible it’s also offensive.

1 Like

Sounds like they were translated into another language and then back into English.

On the other hand, if someone came up and started telling me about a boxing match and said that one of the fighters “won by tiredness,” I would probably recreate the “what?” that Colin Farrell gives in In Bruges when the officer comes aboard the train and says, “you heet the Canadian?” I wouldn’t even know what the hell they meant.

I dunno, movies even in my language use slang that sometimes misses me too and occasionally I’ll bother to look up what it meant. A hearing-impaired person would have the same remedy. All the same, this whole thing was legitimately funny to me, so not truly a complaint or anything.

1 Like

Been waiting a long time for this sequel! I loved Tron Legacy more than the original.

New classic scratched off my list tonight. Singin’ In the Rain.

Wonderful fun picture, the woman who plays the main foil absolutely steals the show.

My guess is that me enjoying this will give La La Land a boost when I see it.

6 Likes

Debbie Reynolds being able to keep up that well with Gene Kelly in the dance sequences is a crazy accomplishment. She had none of the dancing background to pull something like that off, but she absolutely hangs.

Damien Chazelle is clearly the biggest Singin’ in the Rain fan out there. If anything, that might be a situation where La La Land suffers by comparison because Gosling and Stone just don’t have the same stuff in the dance sequences. I still think La La Land is fantastic though. Chazelle also goes out of his way to pay tribute specifically to Singin’ in the Rain during Babylon.

1 Like

ZAZLOVVVVVVVVVVVVV!

https://screenrant.com/fixed-movie-warner-bros-release-cancelled-details/

This time a goddamn Genndy Tartakovsky movie.

Fuck Discovery in every one of their holes. Fuck.

1 Like

Subtitles paraphrasing is one thing, but sometimes they outright get the sentence wrong. In “Green Room”, there’s a point towards the end where one of the characters gives up and says “I want to go to jail”. Instead when I watched it, the subtitles read “I don’t want to go to jail” (with sound not particularly loud, no chance for my brain to realise this is not what was said). It didn’t really make sense in the context in which it happens, so I was puzzled. Only afterwards seeing a few reviews mention the actual correct sentence I realized that this was a sub mistake. Annoying !
(I’m guessing with subtitles being more and more AI generated, we may be seeing a lot of these mistakes in future years…)

This is a failure of the US tax code.

If you don’t know the YouTube channel Thomas Flight I cannot recommend it highly enough. It’s my favorite film history and theory channel by far.

Anybody have thoughts on Gattaca? Never seen and wife think she wants to watch today but isnt sure

2 Likes

It’s ok, probably not a waste of time

1 Like

Haven’t seen it in about 25 years, but I remember it slightly exceeding my expectations.

2 Likes

It’s fantastic. Watch it for sure.

2 Likes

Serpico (1973) more than holds up for a movie that’s over 50 years old. it’s one of the best movies i’ve seen all year and i’ve been picking really good ones

5 Likes

After watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade again, I’m convinced that the essential elements of a great Indy movie are Nazis and religious iconography.

For counter examples of Indy movies that are Not Good, see Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull.

I did not see Dial of Destiny.

3 Likes

Hot take maybe but three is the only one I like.

1 Like

Watched Cabin in the Woods for the first time since theatre. I’m not a huge horror guy but this is pretty awesome. Pure distilled meta. It’s also pretty funny. I love the ballsy ending.

4 Likes