Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I think both polar ends would be boring, “Atheists are evil” and “religious people don’t actually believe anything, they’re just as cynical as everyone else”. It’s A24 so I hope they avoid the simplistic.

1 Like

Did you see Civil War? Would you be happy with that kind of approach?

1 Like

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1817649444289966098?s=46

2 Likes
1 Like

In Her Shoes

One of my girlfriend and my favorite movies. Stellar cast. Unique story. Realistic romance and other relationships. Brilliant ending. Peak Cameron Diaz.

Grade A

2 Likes

What do all these movies have in common?
Fight Club, The Matrix, American Beauty, The Green Mile, Eyes Wide Shut, Toy Story 2, The Sixth Sense, Election, Being John Malkovich, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Magnolia, Office Space, Girl Interrupted, Three Kings, Boondock Saints, South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut, The Virgin Suicides, The Insider, The Iron Giant, Cruel Intentions, American Pie, The Blair Witch Project, October Sky, Any Given Sunday, Sleepy Hollow, 10 Things I Hate About You, Notting Hill, The Phantom Menace, The Mummy, She’s All That, Mystery Men

They all came out in 19-fucking-99!
I know that was before streaming and there were more studios then, so that means more movies coming out. But that is really the studio system firing on all fucking cylinders, making classics in every genre. Moviegoers were eating that year.

3 Likes

Ya top three year all time.

The music version is the 44 days in 1991 when all these came out.

2 Likes

:vince1:
:vince2:
:vince3:
:vince4:
:vince:

3 Likes

Just highlighting the other five-star film from 1999. Everyone who hasn’t seen it is required to.

2 Likes

Those are all big albums for sales but 1991 wouldnt be a top 3 year for albums overall for the 90s.
Also, Loveless is still by far the best album of 1991.

2 Likes

This is the craziest post in UP history. :grin::wink:

1 Like

It’s really astonishing how terrific Michael Mann’s movies used to be. Public Enemies and Blackhat were real stinkers. I’ll confess I didn’t watch Ferrari but did see it was well reviewed.

I haven’t actually seen Public Enemies or Blackhat, but I know their rep. Ferrari was solid but nothing more. He doesn’t have a Fincher-level catalog IMO, but even just giving us two masterful films in The Insider and Heat puts him in rare air among modern directors. And that’s before even considering (also very strong) entries like Collateral and Thief.

Every scene Christopher Plummer has in The Insider belongs in a museum.

1 Like

Oh hell yes. Don’t forget Last of the Mohicans. Daniel Day Lewis doesn’t miss.

I, uhh, haven’t seen that.

(In my defense, the resume gaps are becoming less.)

Outside of maybe Meryl Streep, DDL is the first person I think of when I think of the best actors of my lifetime.

2 Likes

!!!

Oh man you gotta get on that. It’s epic. The soundtrack is among the best as well.

Absolutely familiar with the score and agree that it’s great. But yeah that’s a good motivator to bump it up the list. Unfortunately doesn’t look to be streaming right now.

1 Like

Got a list?

EDIT: I mean, obviously you do. My real question is “Do you mind sharing it?”

1 Like

Looks like my number is actually 48 right now.

Honestly there’s another glut of films that I have 4.5 stars on right now that deserve consideration to be bumped to the full five, and I’m staring at them longingly and guilt-ridden that they’ve been left a half-star short, so let me shout them out also:

(Heat and Paths of Glory just off-screen)

6 Likes

4.5 for Before Sunset makes my soul cry.