Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Lloyd Bridges is at least 4 inches taller than James Whitmore.

In the words of Chandler Bing, ā€œIā€™m not saying it was a good idea; Iā€™m saying I snapped.ā€

But really, I donā€™t know, Airplane feels like the last thing I saw Lloyd in. Shawshank is 17 years later. Age changes a manā€™s face. And I feel like someone said it to me at some point and I just blindly accepted it through the 10 billion times Iā€™ve watched Shawshank. Shrug. It was a rude awakening to casually reference Lloyd Bridgesā€™s part in Shawshank, get greeted with, ā€œLloyd Bridges was in Shawshank?ā€ and go into a sequence that started with a confident, ā€œYep!ā€ and then gave way to ā€œwelpā€ when I looked it up to verify.

3 Likes

https://x.com/DrinkAriZona/status/1815420690742587862

4 Likes

Is it common knowledge that a film once had to use a dick-double for Willem DaFoe because his actual dick was startling large and threw off a scene?

And is that the Arizona Iced Tea connection?

1 Like

The guy who runs Arizonaā€™s social media is a fan of William DaFoe.

1 Like

Fun fact: Iā€™m scheduled to run the Shawshank Hustle in a few weeks, which is a race at the Ohio State Reformatory (where Shawshank was filmed), and a bunch of the movieā€™s cast will be attending:

Cast Attending - Shawshank Trailā€™

Nice group of "That guy"s. (Technically "that guy"s and "girl"s, because Linda Dufresne will be there, but was she in the movie for longer than 30 seconds?)

4 Likes

Maybe 10 years ago, I read an article from a reporter who took the Shawshank tour, and she literally met Bob Gunton, who happened to be there at the same time revisiting for the first time since filming.

Unless Iā€™m confabulating this, Iā€™m pretty sure she got a picture of him posing at the wardenā€™s desk.

1 Like

https://x.com/Variety/status/1815521116007354596?t=45wwJJXvmBc5DQMsa8FuaA&s=19

Agreed that it was a big problem but if it was just Nic Cageā€™s natural face it would have been even less scary. Just a terrible casting choice (for movie quality anyway, itā€™s probably helpful to get funding and to get people into the theater)
(very forgettable movie imo)

Kinda bummed that thereā€™s no good movie right now in theaters just when I have a lot of free time
Saw the Trap trailer and Iā€™ll be there for that one but itā€™s still a few weeks away.
Also I was surprised by how good the Maxxxine trailer was, hit all the right notes for me, maybe itā€™ll be a pleasantly good surprise (i found ā€œXā€ very boring and didnā€™t bother with ā€œPearlā€)

I loved the trailer too. And unfortunately was utterly bored by the movie. Your mileage may vary, of course. I liked X.

Ah well that sucks. At least Iā€™ll go in with low expectationsā€¦

1 Like

I really dont think X needed to be a trilogy. Its a tight, suspensful, sexy horror movie that totally stands on its own.

I dont need to know why the old lady was overtly sexual, and I donā€™t need to know what happens to Mia Goth afterward.

Shes a powerhouse and deserves to be seen in a bunch of other stuff, but X absolutely could have been a horror gem and is now kind of a bloated unnecessary trilogy.

1 Like

I actually enjoy that aspect of a filmmaker telling a story at 3 different time periods in 3 separate movies. Thought X and Pearl were both enjoyable and looking forward to Maxxxine.

1 Like

Amazon has erroneously made The Taste of Things available for free digital purchase. Which means that you can buy it and then theyā€™ll probably rip it away from you within a day or so citing their own error. But in the meantime, you would have access to it. Great movie; see it if you havenā€™t.

https://www.amazon.com/Taste-Things-Juliette-Binoche/dp/B0CTXVF7LC/

1 Like

I thought maxxine was fine just like pearl and X

X, was fine I guess
Pearl, I found boring and didnā€™t really like
Maxine, maybe Iā€™ll watch when itā€™s free to stream

I think Mia Goth is overhyped.

(ducks)

2 Likes

Same

QP Day 1 was worthy of a sr matinee ticket. I like how these movies stay focused on our protagonists fight for survival vs some big global invasion plot.

Totally agree. I really donā€™t actually need lore on why sound (sometimes) triggers deadly violence. They avoided the major pitfall of filling in lore unnecessarily.