Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Glad to hear it. Part two was a Tony Scott movie I believe and it wasn’t bad but the first is obviously best. I’ll check out Axel F tomorrow

1 Like

That’s great to hear, the trailer looked good but like you say movies like that have huge potential to be terrible.

I just watched the 2017 movie Wish Upon starring Joey King and Ryan Phillipe. Reiterating that I watch these movies specifically because they’re bonkers, but I do recommend this one. Imagine crossing a monkey’s paw situation with Final Destination with a Disney teen movie, but only one pass is taken at the script and the director refuses all studio notes.

1 Like

Wish Upon is so fucking insane and stupid. Your description is spot on.

2 Likes

Gotti is like what if you made a version of Goodfellas without any reason to care about the characters. Probably didn’t help that I watched this moments after finishing a rewatch of Goodfellas. Travolta does a great job with what he’s given, but he’s surrounded by an okay cast with an okay script. Pass on this MoviePass movie.

I would like to note that for some reason, Goodfellas never worked for me, but something about this watch finally clicked. It’s an absolute banger well deserving of its reputation.

1 Like

Go get your fucking shinebox.

No, but really, it took me until my second viewing of it to really love it too. First time was very much a “this is fine” reaction.

1 Like

I think it’s because the gangster life just doesn’t appeal to me, so it was hard for me to get instantly hooked by the opening line. This time though I got wrapped up in the family drama, especially via Karen Hill.

The best trick of the movie is it seems like it’s glorifying mob life but it’s really the most acidic diatribe against it ever filmed.

4 Likes

Its the only gangster movie thats ever fully captured me (yes I know I havent seen Godfather fully but I havs seen parts and still havent had gotten that itch to watch the rest)

1 Like

That’s okay, you’ve probably seen enough. The Godfather is best experienced in bite-sized Tiktok clips on your phone.

6 Likes

What about random HBO flippings?

1 Like

I mean, I don’t know, I didn’t make my first attempt at the movie by starting into the middle out of context and trying to get acclimated. As a general rule though, I fully expect that to harm the experience of an epic film. It’s easy enough for even a first-timer to airdrop into Hoosiers and go “okay, what’s this…okay, it’s a sports movie, the team wants to win the big game, got it,” then watch whatever is still available from there. But a rich and textured drama with a bunch of moving parts and a boatload of characters/families to keep track of is just not the same thing. So I wouldn’t really expect that method to go very well.

I watched it front to back as my first experience, and basically only came away with “I can tell that was good, but I’m gonna need to rewatch it,” and then the rewatch fully unlocked it since there was plenty I hadn’t really understood on first go.

1 Like

We don’t like godfather now? What is going on in this thread!

(Ya ya shut up Barbie) :grin:

1 Like

You should’ve watched the version with Armand Assante.

1 Like

If I’m understanding this correctly that Blitz isn’t getting a wide release and will mostly go straight to streaming after a short qualifying theatrical run in NY and LA, that’s unfortunate. One of the movies getting the most Oscar buzz for the year. Apple didn’t do this to Flower Moon last year, but that might have just been Scorsese influence.

1 Like

A question about Axel F…

With all the returns of the old characters, why did they replace Judge Reinhold with Mickey Rourke?

1 Like

If it were on Tubi, I’d watch it right now

La Bête

What if david lynch directed eternal sunshine of the spotless mind? It’d be way better, right? Some wonderful not-too-distant-future sci fi worldbuilding mixed with a healthy dose of “we live inside a dream”. I loved this movie. Léa Seydoux is my new favorite actor.

5 bags of popcorn

2 Likes

Maxxxine

I liked X. I thought Pearl was fine. I was hopeful for this one, but honestly I liked it less than Pearl, which I barely liked.

Mia Goth has a lot of charisma, but I found the material here awfully dull until the final act. I did think the climax worked, but it was mostly a real slog getting there. Disclaimer that horror is a lesser genre for me, so your mileage may vary, but since I did like an earlier installment of this same trilogy, this was far from a doomed experience for me until I actually did watch it.

2.5/5

1 Like

Open Windows

2014 thriller starring Elijah Wood and Sasha Grey lol. Do not watch this. I don’t even know where to begin except to tell you that the first 90% of the movie consists of the camera/view moving from one window to another on the protagonist’s laptop screen. I had to take several breaks. Plotwise I guess all I can say is that it involves a master computer hacker basically hijacking someone’s life. Just absolute nonsense. I’m actually not even really looking forward to the HDTGM because I know most of it is going to be trying to figure out what the fuck was even happening.

1 Like

You need to use your Hollywood connections to get them to do Dream for an Insomniac, possibly the dumbest movie ever made.

Directed by Tiffanie DeBartolo, of those DeBartolos.

1 Like