Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Fury road is def way better and agree on the Jack sparrow comment

1 Like

Please do!! I am very eager to hear how the movies play when seen in chronological vs release order.

Disagree, Furiosa was awesome. More of a good thing, not better or worse.

I think part of this was going in expecting Fury Road part 2, which obv was not the right mindset.

But even with the differences I canā€™t get over how much better the score was in Fury Road

Is Shallow Hal a good movie? Because I find myself liking it more every time I watch it.

Itā€™s fine. Iā€™ve seen worse. The elevator scene with Tony Robbins is quite funny.

1 Like

So weird I had this movie on my mind a few hours ago, I remember it being ok

1 Like

Is it offensive or respectful to people of size iyo?

I think Iā€™ve seen this movie three times and still donā€™t know what is actually shown in ā€œthe sceneā€. I canā€™t watch it with my eyes open.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t get shown really graphically. I believe it cuts away at the last split-second to his brotherā€™s horrified reaction.

2 Likes

IIRC you can hear the guyā€™s teeth scraping on the curb as heā€™s getting in position, which is the most excruciating part of the scene.

During the period where Tony Kaye was freaking out he was taking ads out in the trades about it, which was a very wild thing to do.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s not great on that but the overall message is good, I havenā€™t seen it in years

1 Like

Speaking of, I do think itā€™s interesting that this can be the right choice at times to heighten impact.

I remember, in the scene in Fight Club where Ed Norton beats the shit out of Jared Leto, they originally were just going to show him beating him to a bloody pulp pretty graphically. But then they alternatively tested the take where he starts the beating and then cuts to a view of the guys in the fight club all standing there watching in complete horror, getting increasingly disturbed by the beating they were watching, and that cut tested way better so thatā€™s what went into the film.

It apparently tested better not because it was less disturbing, but actually because it was more disturbing to let the audience imagine what could possibly be getting this reaction from these characters who are far from squeamish about watching people commit gratuitous violence to each other.

1 Like

Looks fun, but I fear they showed too much in the trailer:

The Silent Partner (1978) on Criterion isnā€™t bad if you want a smart late-70ā€™s suspense thriller. Sexy bank manager Elliott Gould pulls a switcheroo on mall Santa/would-be bank robber Christopher Plummer. John Candy is there for some reason?

1 Like

acb

2 Likes

1 Like

The first 30 minutes of Hancock (on Tubi) are so damn good. May as well be a short film. But man, once it turns into a different movie :open_mouth:

If you need to take your mind off of existential dread, Maniac Cop III: Badge of Silence (1993) delivers on the schlock 90ā€™s action formula of Maniac Cop 2. Visionary camp producer/writer Larry Cohen and auteur director Alan Smithee at it again. My man Robert Zā€™Dar dual-wields handguns, the practical effects are fantastic, just a great camp action film.

1 Like

Axel F is fun. Not that itā€™s anything special compared to all movies in general, but as (usually awful) legacy sequel comedies go itā€™s quite good. If you liked the original Beverly Hills Cop, itā€™s worth a watch. For context, I liked the original Cop, thought Cop II sucked, and skipped Cop III. Given the reputation of III, Iā€™m guessing I can say this is the first worthy sequel to the original.

2 Likes