Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Man, you need lighter movies right now, I recommend anything by Larry Cohen but esp The Stuff, Maniac Cop 2, or Q. Tubi must have one of these movies on tap.

1 Like

Tubi has Commando, Modern Romance, Bringing Up Baby, The Seven Year Itch, Hoosiers, What About Bob. Certainly no shortage of great lighter watches.

4 Likes

Sounds like a good day to look for Jerry Maguire :grin:

1 Like

Tubi also has Predator and Demolition Man. So much delicious violence.

1 Like

I get how Tubi can pick up budget titles, but Commando and Predator? How do they do it?

2 Likes

I think thereā€™s some sort of cost benefit analysis where the studio makes more or equal money from the ads compared to the licensing fee to ad free platforms.

Kinds of Kindness

Personally -1/10

Objectively 5/10

Mostly pissed because I went to the 10:00 PM showing not noticing the movie was 3 HOURS LONG. Rolling out of the theater after 1 AM for a sub par movie was grating. I should have left early.

The movie itself is 3 vignettes that are not related to each other other than all have the same actors in each one. All of the actors do a good job but because the vignettes are all absurbist it kind of made it hard to care. The second one I couldnā€™t even tell you what the thematic point of it was.

More bad movies Iā€™ve watched in the last few days:

Hangman (2017) with Al Pacino and Karl Urban - This is one of those movies thatā€™s entirely funded by pre-sales of foreign rights. Itā€™s not supposed to be ā€œgoodā€, really, and it isnā€™t. Pacino and Urban are cops chasing a serial killer with a hangman gimmick. Overall it could have been much worse, and I wish it had been. Only thing Iā€™ve seen Karl Urban in is ā€œThe Boysā€, so seeing him as a clean-shaven American (and one from the south, at that) was disconcerting. Very skippable movie.

The First Power (1990) with Lou Diamond Phillips - Another cop chasing a serial killer, this time with supernatural elements. Features the indomitable Jeff Kober as the killer. Fun one, I recommend.

Absolution / The Journey: Absolution (1997) with Mario Lopez, Jaime Pressly, and Richard Grieco - Oh boy. Very low budget sci-fi action flick. It is absolute nonsense but fun if youā€™re into that sort of thing and I am.

I donā€™t get it. Thereā€™s so much actual good stuff.

The actual motivation is that I am trying very hard to exercise every morning. I am watching movies covered by the podcast ā€œHow Did This Get Madeā€ and then listening to the podcast on a 45 minute hike/walk.

Iā€™m sure I could do that with good movies covered by good-movie podcasts, but HDTGM is hilarious and itā€™s very low commitment. I watch the movies while Iā€™m doing other stuff and there is definitely no pressure to sweat the details. I have enough stuff in my life that requires actual thought and attention.

3 Likes

Watch him in RED, Almost Human, and apparently Dredd and get a different perspective on him. I havenā€™t seen Dredd but it looks extreme.

Itā€™sā€¦pretty good. Nothing special, but worth a go. Kind of thin material, but Lily Gladstone continues to be a really compelling performer. 3/5.

Perfect Days is very good. About a middle aged dude who lives alone cleaning toilets in Tokyo and listening to American music on cassette tapes

1 Like

U didnt watch lord of the Rings? Urban is Eomer.

He is also the adversary of Jason Bourne in the 2nd movie.

1 Like

Donā€™t forget Dredd. What a fantastic movie thatā€™s essentially a remake of The Raid 2.

1 Like

Nope, no Lord of the Rings at all. I did see all the Bourne movies but donā€™t remember him. In Hangman he is one of the two stars and has a shitload of dialogue with which he struggled valiantly.

OK looks like he was Russian in Bourne and doing an English accent in LotR?

In his defense, in Hangman Pacino is doing some sort of Bayou accent that comes in and out, so Urban is in good company.

Oh fuck he is, isnt he?

If Iā€™ve never seen A Quiet Place, should I watch the prequel first? Guessing no.

1 Like

Just watched Furiosa, man it just doesnā€™t hit in any way like Fury Road. I thought I was gonna love this movie, but itā€™s just too disjointed with so many plot holes, lousy cgi, and the score is super weak. I overall enjoyed Chris Hemsworthā€™s character but do wish he was bit less Jack Sparrowy. As for Furiosa I think I cared more about her as a young girl than ATJā€™s character. Still worth seeing but i definitely left disappointed

wat