Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

This looks both pretty interesting and pretty poorly shot.

1 Like

How can you diss Kansas City hometown hero Tommy Morrison like that?

I listened to the Speed Rewatchables. It always bugs me when they pick nits and donā€™t pick the one that jumped out at me.

When they get all the passengers off the bus, and Keanu and Bullock take their luge ride on the tarmac, the bus careens off on its own in whatever random direction. It could have hit LAX and killed way more people than were on the bus in the first place!

But thatā€™s not the thing that really bugged me. The bus somehow finds its way to a maintenance area where some guy is towing a jumbo jet.

ā€œGee Bob thereā€™s like 10,000 cops over there and a bus is doing laps around the runway, do you think we should lock things down over here?ā€

ā€œBahhhh, I donā€™t have time for that nonsense. We got planes to move!ā€

1 Like

4.9 on IMDB also. Yikes

Itā€™s very low budget. You will see the money they didnā€™t have and that Soderbergh can only offer so many tips for iPhones.

One actor in particular is terrible. Just awful.

But a lot of the movie is so well executed that I canā€™t help but appreciate it.

Iā€™m a huge fan of the genre where terrible people invade a home and find out the owner is so evil that the home invaders suddenly feel like the heroes.

Johnnie To is simply the most underrated director of all time in the West. Every movie he makes is a banger; I havenā€™t found a dud yet.

1 Like

I love this theory that The Shawshank Redemption randomly popularized this now-common phrase.

jaykenworthy on X: ā€œHereā€™s one of my favorite random theories: Why do people say ā€œI hope this email finds you wellā€? Itā€™s because Morgan Freeman got Andy Dufresne a Rock Hammer in 1947. A thread ā€¦ 1/6ā€ / X (twitter.com)

1 Like

Thatā€™s some good shit. Several football fields worth in fact.

1 Like

How do you even begin to coordinate a tracking shot like this. I know there are clever cuts and all manner CGI trickery but still it seems insane.

1 Like

This really is quite impressive!! Whole movie like this?

iā€™m glad adam driver is making movies about driving

3 Likes

Zaslav redeems himself by releasing most DCEU movies on Prime where they can at least die free and happy.

https://tubitv.com/movies/310136?link-action=play&tracking=google-feed&utm_source=google-feed

Hotel Rwanda shakes me to my core every time.

I cry during the scene when Paulā€™s wife tells him how to get out with their children, but the plan would require him to leave his wife behind. He tells her, ā€œTatianaā€¦! I will never leave you. Never.ā€

:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::heart:

Rusesabagina was a hotel manager during the 1994 genocide. He rose to fame when Hollywood released the film, where he was played by Don Cheadle about his actions to protect Tutsis, who sought refuge at the hotel from Hutu death squads. He was credited with protecting and saving the lives of more than 1,000 people.

I got curious what the actual Paul Rusesabagina has been up to since the brief outro text of the movie.

And it turns out the shit that happened to him in the last three years is no less harrowing. Wtf.

Paul Rusesabagina, 'Hotel Rwanda' hero, released from prison : NPR.

[His] family says he was kidnapped in 2020 after he boarded a plane in Dubai that he believed was taking him to Burundi. But the flight landed in the Rwanda instead.

Upon his arrival, he was arrested and put on trial over his ties to the Rwanda Movement for Democratic Change (MRCD), a group that opposes Kagameā€™s rule.

Seems to be turning out okay from wikiā€¦

On 20 September 2021, he was convicted on terrorism charges and sentenced to 25 years in prison. The UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention rendered their opinion on 18 March 2022 that Rusesabagina had been illegally kidnapped, tortured, and sentenced after an unfair trial. The Working Group further found that Rusesabagina has been targeted by the Government on account of his work as a human rights defender, because of his criticism of the Government on a broad range of issues.

In 2023, after serving two years in prison, Rusesabaginaā€™s sentence was commuted by the Rwandan president.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not must-see, but I basically like the Dracula on a boat movie, itā€™s an old-school monster-of-the-week movie that feels like a legit part of the Universal monster franchise. The premise seemed thin at first but they do manage to turn it into a full movie-length story.

3 Likes

I was interested in this, will wait for Redbox prolly

I saw this last night. Iā€™m not quite putting it at Superbad level, but itā€™s very solid, exceeded my expectations. Worthy addition to the high school comedy pantheon. Theater was unusually full and the movie got a strong crowd reaction. Happy for Ayo Edebiri if she is indeed stacking another successful co-starring project on top of The Bear to continue her career momentum. Marshawn Lynch should be cast in every single comedy.

2 Likes

I wanna see it so bad. Looks hilarious.

Would also add Blockers to the female-led Superbad list.

1 Like

Recently heard an interview with the director (on The Big Picture) and she said she basically didnā€™t know anything about his football career/antics but he was suggested to her based on Murderville. She said he seemed a little surprised/confused that she wanted him in the movie, but that he was really enthusiastic and brought a great energy to set. So, yeah, cast him in everything.

Since watching The Deepest Breath Iā€™ve become fascinated by deep divers (either free or scuba). Came across this documentary last night and itā€™s a pretty good one about a extremely deep cave dive to recover a dead body. Also found this long article detailing the operation and you can watch the actual dive footage since the lead guy wore a camera on his head.

These guys are really sick individuals, when youā€™re going down to 800+ feet you canā€™t even spend any time down there because of the enormous amount of gas required to keep you breathing. O yeah and that gas is basically a narcotic that makes you feel like youā€™re shitfaced drunk, and you canā€™t exert any effort or youā€™ll generate too much CO2 and pass out. They said every minute spent at depths like that adds at least an hour of decompression time on ascent.

1 Like